Water storage ideas -- what to use?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jlxian, Feb 22, 2005.

1. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

In anticipation of water shortages in the future, we are considering purchasing a large above-ground tank or vault to use as a cistern, catching the rainwater off our large barn. Have any of you done this, and if so what type of storage are you using? Where did you get the storage tank? Do you use the water only for irrigation or could it be used for drinking too?

The aquifer in our area is being rapidly depleted and rivers and streams are polluted with e-coli. In all probability, there will be problems with water supply in the not too distant future.

Thanks for any pointers!

2. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Good idea. I've thrown around the idea of using plastic drums for catching run off...you would need to filter it somehow and also would need to treat it if you wanted to drink it...I'm no expert. I would like it mainly for the garden...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?page=arc&id=5588

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

You could also use a NEW septic tank.

Kathleen

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

check you local farmers coop == mine has 550 gal above ground for 320 about and 1100 gal for about 440

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

some septic tanks are not aproved for potable water

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Many farm supply stores carry the 1500 size poly tank. They come larger and smaller, but this is usually the most readily avail. If it is to be above ground get green or black, not white. (To keep algae from growing.) If it comes off a metal roof and you use a roof washer diversion, and/or a prefilter, you can drink it with minimal additional filtration. Asphalt roof runoff is better used for irrigation rather than household use. Even in the desert I was able to collect enough water for household use (we had a dry toilet) and to water the animals. If I had a larger area to collect from I could have done a small, water conserving garden. I have hauled water and don't care much for it. I'm planning to do roof catch when we move. Rain water is the only kind that doesn't make me itch and is wonderful for washing clothes and making soap.

8. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Wow. Thanks for the great ideas! I've wondered about the effect of the asphalt shingles; sounds like we need to do some research.

We've thought of something like a septic tank or a storm shelter all sealed up, but I think I would be happier drinking water from a plastic or stainless steel ($$$!!) tank. Of course if you are thirsty you won't care where the water was stored.

Years ago we had a cistern that had a gravel pit the water ran through before it went into the cistern. Are these pretty effective?