1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Sounds like maybe it wasn't stored water, but off of a municipal connection to the home. It's unclear though...seems like it would take forever to fill a tanker with a garden hose. Haven't heard of anything like that around here, but we do have water thieves diverting irrigation water. The ditch riders go through from time to time to catch thieves and find other problems.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you're right.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
It's really crazy that the drought is that bad. That seems like a lot of work for $1500 worth of water.

Reminds me of when gas first went sky high and thieves were punching holes in car gas tanks to steal the gas. Don't hear much about that anymore. I wonder if it's still common.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually there are water trucks that have transported water to various places all over the county as a number of people build without a reliable summer water source. They sell by the tank load.
Also pot growers are notable for taking water.

Reactions: unregistered353870

·
Registered
529 Posts
That sure grows a lot of cancer medication. I am pretty disgusted that all of these degenerates are ruining my home. I wonder if the world know or cares that the Humboldt Green they are smoking is literally destroying a wonderful wilderness.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
It's really crazy that the drought is that bad. That seems like a lot of work for $1500 worth of water.

Reminds me of when gas first went sky high and thieves were punching holes in car gas tanks to steal the gas. Don't hear much about that anymore. I wonder if it's still common.
It is still very common and theft from farmers fuel tanks. They just don't make media attention as we have "gotten use to the fuel prices." No one is outraged anymore so it's not a story.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Do you have a clue how much water that is? 140,000 gallons! My tank is 8' in diameter and 10' tall and it is only 2000 gallons! That's 70 of my containers! To steal that much water you would have to have absolutely un -fettered access to the property for a long,long time.I don't believe it! And if they are small time thieves,a pickup could only haul maybe 500 gallon. That would be 280 trips! No way!Something is not right about that one.

Wade

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just looking at the guy's water truck who lives a couple of miles down the road, it looks to be maybe 3-4000 gallons. He gets about $270 per delivery (if I remember rightly.) It's a truck as big as the propane truck. So that would be about 35 trips. And a profit of about $10,000 if sold.
And since that area is really away from everything, not spending so much on gas might be a big draw to make repeated trips.

But the idea of an insurance settlement for having left a faucet on, if insurance would cover such a thing, comes to mind too.

But also there have been a number of water thefts this year. A small city had their 20,000 gallon tank emptied twice.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Just looking at the guy's water truck who lives a couple of miles down the road, it looks to be maybe 3-4000 gallons. He gets about $270 per delivery (if I remember rightly.) It's a truck as big as the propane truck. So that would be about 35 trips. And a profit of about $10,000 if sold.
And since that area is really away from everything, not spending so much on gas might be a big draw to make repeated trips.

But the idea of an insurance settlement for having left a faucet on, if insurance would cover such a thing, comes to mind too.

But also there have been a number of water thefts this year. A small city had their 20,000 gallon tank emptied twice.
I live in a poor part of the country. The guy that delivers water here has a 1500 gallon tank. I don't know what he gets but even so he pulls up to the station and it costs a little of nothing.I had a leak on my last water bill and 6400 gallons cost me $39. If you come get it it is like a tenth of that!
I don't know!

Wade

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I live in a poor part of the country. The guy that delivers water here has a 1500 gallon tank. I don't know what he gets but even so he pulls up to the station and it costs a little of nothing.I had a leak on my last water bill and 6400 gallons cost me $39. If you come get it it is like a tenth of that!
I don't know!

Wade
You live where water is relatively plentiful. I was actually surprised when I read this story that the value wasn't even higher in California.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Lookie here

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/sep/5/why-eel-river-disappeared-and-what-it-means-fish/

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/aug/29/sohum-trespass-grow-features-1366-plants-rodentici/

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/aug/27/10276-marijuana-plants-eradicated-sheriffs-departm/

Weed is big business here (2 billion a year tax free) and water is needed to grow it. They have stolen it from schools, fire dept's and private families and they are pumping so much from the creeks that several rivers are failing to make it to the sea this drought year. If the elite LA dope market knew about this would they still smoke Humboldt weed?

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lookie here

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/sep/5/why-eel-river-disappeared-and-what-it-means-fish/

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/aug/29/sohum-trespass-grow-features-1366-plants-rodentici/

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/aug/27/10276-marijuana-plants-eradicated-sheriffs-departm/

Weed is big business here (2 billion a year tax free) and water is needed to grow it. They have stolen it from schools, fire dept's and private families and they are pumping so much from the creeks that several rivers are failing to make it to the sea this drought year. If the elite LA dope market knew about this would they still smoke Humboldt weed?
It would all become just fine right after the first puff or two. College students are just as bad. When I visit San Francisco, it is impossible to go more than a house or two with getting hit with the strong scent of pot. If you have ever been to a public participation meeting on pot, you will hear endless remarks on its benefits to the speaker but never any concern about the fall out on those around them.

Seems part of the package.

Reactions: terri9630
1 - 15 of 15 Posts