Water softeners

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Countrybumpkin, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Hello! We have a Sears water softener that is almost 10 years old and now needs some parts. We are not sure the price of parts is worth the cost, as new ones are almost as much as the price quote for the parts!

So my question is, has anyone bought one of those SoPhTec softeners I see in magazines. They cost $388 and are very small (just a little box) and don't use salt. This would be a huge savings over the years, and less work, if you don't use salt. But are they just blowing sunshine up my dress or do these things work???

If anyone has an affordable softener that works great, let me know what it is. I will be glad to hear from anyone on the above mentioned one, as it sounds too good to not be a rip off. We do not have sulpher, thank goodness, just iron and rust.

Thanks, Sue.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

not shure but i do know this iff you pump it into city system a lot of countys are changing they dont want the salt to be pump into there system thats something to consider for the future

3. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Don't do it. This is one of those questions that comes up all of the time. Magnetic water softening, the method SoPhTec claims to use for softening, is total BS. These companies are nothing more that con artists with nice websites. Check here for more info on the myth of magnetic water softening:

Magnetic Water Softening Scam

Salt based systems are still the best way to handle hard water. I have a WaterBoss system in my current home and it seems to work just fine. It uses much less salt than my old system did, but that is mainly because it bases it regeneration times upon how much water is actually used as opposed to regenerating at fixed time intervals (thats how my old one worked). Any new demand regeneration system should get you the same results.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I once had a Sears softener. The problem with them is the salt tank and everything else is all in one drum. The salt fumes eventialy ruins the control head which is in the same drum..
    SSOOOO to get a good long lasting softener, the salt tank needs to be seperate from rest of the outfit.

5. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for answering! We are going out and check on prices on those 2 tank softeners...sounds like they are the way to go!