Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Hi! Hubby is a plumber and we also have a water softener at HIS insistance. We are on septic and he assures me that it will not harm your septic. The new softeners are called "Demand" softeners. Which means that you test your water for hardness and then set the softener to that hardness. It really is nice I have to admit. The water does not taste salty,I use about half as much shampoo and other detergents for laundry etc. You do have to use salt for softning but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Ours drains right pasted my Crepe Myrtle tree and the thing blooms like crazy every spring and summer still. If you do have overly soft water it will feel "slimy" that means you have set your softener wrong. Soft water does need to be gotten used to, it will feel "soft" and seems like the soap isn't entirely washed off your hands etc. Give it a try though. It saves me so much money in soaps and detergents now that we are used to it!!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Kris, You are so welcome, glad I could help! We got our at Sears and DH says to tell you that if you get one there they should be able to tell you what to set it at for your area.
PS It really does make cleaning sooo much easier!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.