Homesteading Forum banner

Water softener?????

605 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  floramum 
#1 ·
Our local PBS station had a man on today named Haley that has written books on household hints. I confess I had never heard of him, but he did have a host of good ideas.

One of the things he used in a lot of his preparations was water softener. He had the box covered so I could not see the brand name, but he said you could find it in the laundry section of the grocery store. I absolutely don't recall ever having seen water softener in that section.

Is it just something I have missed and is water softener sold as such or is it actually called by another name?

#9 ·
I remember 'ancient Chinese secret' now. Also, "Calgon, take me away.". I just didn't remember it as a water softener.

I can't remember all the hints this man gave using this product, but the one I was interested in was the one for cleaning silver. You line a pan with aluminum foil, add 1 qt hot water, 1 tsp salt and my notes just say water softener (I don't know if he gave amount or I missed it). At any rate, it appeared to be a really good 'dip' type cleaner for silver. I have used the Tide, hot water, and aluminum foil before, but it didn't really seem to work that well.

Thanks again for the information. As soon as I make it to the grocery store, I will give this a try.

#10 ·
Baking Soda, Alum. Foil And Water Can Be Used To Clean Silver.

Line The Pot W/foil, Fill W/water, Add Your Silver, Then Add Baking Soda By The Teaspoonfull. Start W/ About 3 In One Place I Lived It Took About 1/2 Cup Of Baking Soda To Work. Heat The Water To Boiling.....the Alum Foil Collects All The Black Gunk Off The Silver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.