Water Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Mar 27, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

When we run water my pump is coming on, running for a bit, then shutting off for a second or two, then coming right back on. In the past when this happened it was because my whole house filter needed changed so I changed the filter. Now it is running a while longer when on, but it is still stopping for a short time then kicking back on.

Thanks
    Duke

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Could be a waterlogged tank, whats the air pressure saying? If it is too low, below about 30 or so pounds, add compressed air. With the electrical off, drain the tank, now with the electric turned back on the problem may be cured. Not enought air to compress to creat pressure is the usual cause of short cycling. Secondly check the pressure switch contacts for corrosion.

3. ruester

ruester Member

Check your pressure switch settings, etc. A 30/50 pressure switch should flick on at about 32 and off around 48-55, if I recall correctly. Also, don't trust the pressure gauge on the "T" coming from the bottom of your pressure tank; use a tire gauge. Finally, release air from the snifter valve on the pressure tank: If you get any water spray instead of just air, you have a burst pressure bladder and need a new tank. Good luck...

4. duke3522

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Easter dinner. Went down and checked the pressure in the tank and it was only 20 pounds. The pressure gauge on the pump reads about 35. I know this is a dumb question, but what is the snifter valve? Is that at the very top of the tank?

Now let me see if I got this straight. I should pump in air to the tank until I have a pressure of at least 30 pounds. Then turn off power to the pump. Empty the tank. Then turn pump back on.

Thanks
    Duke

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do you know if you have a bladder tank or an older style galvanized tank? Is there a name on the tank and will you describe the tank if you do not know the answer to the first question?

6. duke3522

It's a WellSaver and it is blue. And I do believe that it has a bladder. It is about 12 years old. I am pretty sure my dad replaced it right before he sold the place to us. The simular size at Lowe's says they are pre charged to 38 pounds.

Duke

7. agmantoo

Time for a new tank. The bladder is ruptured. I suggest that you buy the largest tank that the budget can tolerate. It will give a better reserve of water and reduce the wear and tear on the pump and cut the utility bill ever so slightly.

8. duke3522

I thought I would try this tomorrow. Drain out the tank. Add air until the tank is at 38 pounds. Restart the pump.

We will see what happens.

Duke

9. duke3522

OHHH NOOO!!!

I was afried of that.

I will look into that tomorrow.

Thanks
    Duke

10. agmantoo

There is a schrader valve in the top of the tank. It has a valve stem/core in it same as an automobile tire. I have seen the valve leak but it is seldom. You might check the valve with soap bubbles after adding air tomorrow. You should fill the tank with the well pump off to where the air pressure is 2 lbs. below cut in pressure of the well pump. The 38 psi is for a 40 psi cut in.

11. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

I guess Wellmate has a thing with Easter. I was just going to post about the exact same problem with my system. Quite the suprized to see the same topic on the first page. It started last night while washing dishes from dinner. Severe pressure changes as the pump cycled. Bypassed my softener so it didnt burn up the pump motor trying to recharge. Now to either figure out what my son did with the pressure gauge or head to the hardware store for a new one.