water pump, plumbing

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by leaping leon, Apr 19, 2005.

1. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Due to money shortage, I'm going to be installing our plumbing when we move our mobile home in a few weeks. I would really appreciate advice about hooking up to the pump/tank if I get it installed by someone else, and advice concerning how difficult it would be for me to install a pump/tank myself.

We have a two-inch well, and the water is supposed to be about 70 down according to the well driller (haven't checked yet, I'm planning on running some fishing line with a sinker and float on it to check the depth).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I've done some light plumbing, and I have some mechanical ability.

Thanks in advance.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't think they make a submersible pump for a 2-inch well. They do however make a submersible for 2-inch monitoring wells that runs off of 12 volts....but you'd never get enough volume or pressure off of that pump.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would think that the well depth is more like 70 feet and the water table should be shallow in Florida. I have never run a jet pump more than 50 feet and I think that is what you will end up having. Determine the distance to the water and reply.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I doubt if both pipes and the jet assembly for a jet pump will fit into a 2-inch well casing.

5. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Thank you (both). I should be able to check the water depth on thurs. I wasn't there when the well driller was (grrrr, I was supposed to be, and the land developer had him put the well where we were GOING to park our vehicles!) so I'm repeating what the developer said: that the driller claimed he hit water at about 70 feet and wanted to go deeper to get better water, and then couldn't find another vein deeper...it might have been just before our drought broke last year, but come to think of it, that's pretty weird, not finding water like the developer claimed he said. I wonder now if it's a case of stretching the truth...maybe the developer was trying to distract me from complaining about the well placement...

I'm also not too happy about it only being two inches, but it will be awhile before we can get another well drilled, although I'm thinking of putting in a hand-drilled well for an emergency water supply (and using a home-made hand pump that I copied from an old Mother Earth).

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

leaping leon, if the driller hit water at 70 feet then the water will rise to whatever the water table is in the area. I think you will be using a jet pump. I prefer a submersible but I have used jet pumps in many rental units with full satisfaction. I will assist with the info in getting the pump up and going but it is somewhat of a task. Is the casing a galvanized pipe?