Water Pump Making Noise

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Dec 3, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A failing bearing usually features a group of sounds, high to low grinding sounds. A nonlubricated bearing features a squealing sound. Do you hear anything that fits within these groups?

Touch the motor and see if there is excessive heat after the thing shuts off, let us know.

2. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Either way, you should get the pump apart as soon as possible. Replacing a bearing is usually not too bad - but waiting too long and then having to repair/replace damaged shafts, damaged casings, etc. are a real pain.

cheers,

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A word of caution. Keep the face of the seal clean and do not put your fingers on the face. When reassembled and put back in service the seal still may dribble but it will usually reseat and seal after some use.

4. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

This is very strange. I went down and watched the pump for awhile. The noise seems to be the regular noise the pump makes while working but amped up 4 or 5 times and there is a grinding noise as it comes to a stop. Otherwise it is working normally. It is not hot at all when it shuts off, but because of the pressure tank, it never runs more than 90 seconds anyway.

Now for some stupid questions:

1. When we are talking bearings, is this in the motor or the pumping section?
    I have looked at the parts manuel for the pump and no bearings are listed.

2. I am pretty good at these kind of repairs when I have a good step by step instructions on how to do it. Anyone know where I can find that kind of info?

5. agmantoo

Bearings are in the motor. the bearing in the end next to the pump is the one that typically fails. I would change both when I had the system open however.

6. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

if it isn't too much hassle, you may want to order a spare seal kit in case the existing ones don't seat upon reassembly.

7. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I have been waitng on the seals to come in to work on the pump. But over the weekend the darn pump stopped making noise and seems to be working just fine.

I can't help but think that taking a working pump apart is a bad idea. Should I let things be, or go ahead and make the repair.

Thankis
    Duke

8. agmantoo

Get the parts and store them where you can find them in the future. You will probably need the parts eventually.

9. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

...was shocked to see my reply here ...(as I know nothing about anything mechanical...) I'll get my DH his own sign on. :nana:

anyhooo he does know something about pumps and gears....

have a good one everyone!