Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the pressure switch finally kicks on, what causes this? I put more air in the tank but it didn't seem to help any. Do I just need to put a new pressure switch on? I think the new ones are factory set so I could just place a new switch on and not worry about any adjustments. But is a simple adjustment all I need on the old pressure switch?

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
The pressure switch usually has a decal inside of the cover that tells which of the screws does what, its been so long since I adjusted one I do not remember about it.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
It depends on what kind of presure swith you have. On a squar D the small screw on the left is the preaure cut on and the large screw in the midle is the preaure for cut off.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
You have one of two problems!
The bottom fitting (pipe nipple) on the pressure switch is full of rust and needs cleaned
or
Your bladder tank if you have one has too much air in it. The pressure is to be 2 PSI BELOW the cut in pressure of the pressure switch.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Third one: The bladder in the pressure tank is toast.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I bought a new pressure switch and a new nipple just in case. I didn't think to drain the water out of the lines before proceeding with the exchange. I unscrewed the pressure switch off first and to my amazement the small nipple was jammed packed full of rust. I took a screwdriver and wittled around inside the nipple trying to break loose the rust when all of a sudden it looked like the Yellowstone park geysers. I wettedly hurriedly placed the old pressure switch back on and thought to myself "Man, I better go drain the lines out first!"

After drainning the lines out I then replaced both the nipple and the pressure switch and turned the power back on. Now have great water pressure! :baby04:

Once again thanks everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts