Water Lines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Mar 21, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Right now we have Water Lines running from the Well House to the house,T's off and runs just about to where the new house is going,plus runs down to a Hydrant at the Barn.They are 3' deep.

When we put the new house in the Water Line will run under the Porch.I told the wife I think it will be better to cut the line off run it about 15' straight to the new house instead of running under the Porch.We don't need the Hydrant down at the Barn.

I'm just thinking of keeping it simple right now instead of having problems later.What do you Guys think?

big rockpile

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

When I plan on continuing a water line, I bring it above ground and coil enough to finish the job. If the end is capped, enough air will be trapped to prevent the water in the line from getting above ground and feezing. The barb fittings used to splice lines eventually rot out causing an underground leak. Depending on the line (hopefully it's copper tube size, if so it will have CTS printed on it) it can be spliced using inserts and compression fittings which will cost a lot more but will last longer than you without leaking.

I used 2" CTS polyethylene pipe for the 1000' run to the house using the compression fittings. The compression fitting are actually easier to use and you don't have to mess with clamps. Unfortunately they're more of a commercial usage item so they can be hard to find. I've have seen some of the smaller ones at Lowes.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

All the Pipe is already run,its all Plastic.It is already where I need it going in to the new house.I just feel I have way too much extra ran,and don't like it running under the Porch.

Wife says it is fine where it is now and says if we ever have problems with it in the future deal with it then.

big rockpile

4. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Your wife is just thinking of you and your future. You do need a hydrant at the barn, so that if you get on her bad side and have to move to the barn you will have water. She wants to cover all the bases.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

YUP, that is why I told my hubby to put it in the barn, hahahaa but really it will make it so much easier on these bones that are getting alittle old to carry water to the animals in there.