water line depth?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Oct 6, 2004.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I am digging a trench across my dirt, or sand, driveway to run a 2" pvc water line. How deep do I have to dig? I am planning on running the line in some bigger 4" old pvc in the actual driveway area. Do I really need to do that? There isn't that much traffic in my driveway. I am doing that all by hand so I want to make sure I don't dig too deep. LOL
    Appreciate any suggestions. This is my first time to run any kind of pvc line.

2. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I am not sure where you are at in Arizona. You want your water line to be below the frost line. Down here in the low desert when you are standing on top of the ground you are standing on top of the frost line. There isn't any frost to contend with. In the mountains or some of the other areas you should consult with some of the locals to see how much freezing weather and moisture there is and how deep it drives the frost.
    As for the 4" sleeve with the 2" line inside, if you ever have to repair or replace the water line you will be able to do that under your driveway with a little digging on both sides of the concrete. You can get polyethelene water line that comes in rolls and slide it right through the 4" pipe. Gas line is required to be sleeved under concrete so if a leak occurs the gas can escape. With water it's not a requirement. But it sure can't hurt you.

3. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I have the trench dug down to about 12" to 14" already and was hoping that was deep enough. I was going to use the pvc sleeve to prevent crushing of the water line when the propane truck drove over that area. But is the sleeve even necessary? It is all dirt or sand in that area, no concrete drive here.

4. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

If you run schedule 40 2" pvc you don't need to protect it in a 4 inch sleve. The depth is plenty to spread the weight of trucks around the pipe plus that pipe is pretty tough itself.

Check with about any building contrator in your area to determine frostline depth.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, must be nice, around here you need a back hoe to get down 4ft for water lines to keep them from freezing.

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

when i lived in phx the water in my cold water pipes was very hot during august. like the toilet water and cold tap water was steaming hot! so make sure you get it down deep enough to reach "cool" earth and not that top of the ground baked stuff!

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i am told that here on our mountain we cannot get down below the frost line. the nearest neighbor is down 12 feet and froze pipes last winter!