water lilly propagation - help please

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fishax, May 19, 2006.

1. fishax

fishax Member

Have not managed to find info on the web re water lilly propagation. We bought 10 potted water lillies 6 monyths ago and they are very feeble. Planted in gravel with slow release fertilizer( allegedly)

We have now taken some mature plants from another pond - they have good roots and tubers . How should we introduce them to our pond? Pots/gravel/soil/fertilizer?????????? Any help would be appreciated.

2. SecretSprings

SecretSprings Member

fishax, tell us a little about your pond, please. Is it lined? cement? earth bottom? How deep? How much sun/shade?

I have had both lined and earth bottom, but it's been a couple of years since I have done any water gardening. I have also planted in pots with just gravel (not very good results) and with dirt in the pots (excellent results). As with most plants, water lilies will do much better with their roots in dirt. Don't use potting soil, it will float. Use a heavy soil..clay soil will do. I usually filled the container about 1/2 with dirt...spread out the roots (I also used to make a little mound in the middle, where the plant crown would sit) and cover them with a bit more dirt...don't cover the crown with dirt...pack down the dirt and add some gravel...enough to cover the top of the container and keep the dirt in the pot...don't cover the crown with the gravel, either. I usually hosed the planted pot down just to make sure the soil settled before I put it in the pond.

When you put the lily in the water you might have to slowly "lower" it in. Only put it deep enough in the water so that the existing lily pads float. If you submerge the pads, there is a possibility of "drowning" the lily.

For fertilizer, you can use perennial fertilizer sticks. Break into 4 pieces and put one piece per pot. Lots cheaper than "lily-tabs".

Hope this helps...looks clear as mud when I reread it, :hobbyhors

Chris

3. fishax

fishax Member

We have a natural impervious iron pan 1 metre below the surface of the top soil so the digger dug out to this level and we dont need a liner - not much soil down there tho'
    Goldfish are doing well.

4. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

SecretSprings gave the correct instructions for potting your water lilies. It will take them a couple years to become rootbound in the pots and then they will start producing new plants. When I had them I would drag them out of the pond every three years and separate them and replant them and their offspring. I've seen people use the one gallon size nursery plant containers, but you get more flowers if you plant them in the three or five gallon size pots.

5. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

do you have fish in the water. the fish fertilize the water and make the lillies grow. i divide mine every year. are they getting full sun? i don't put much dirt in mine, then i put a rock on top to hold them down. they go crazy. but i think the goldfish are the key.
    randy