Water Issue

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by claytonpiano, Nov 4, 2005.

1. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the strangest question. Our well water has issues!! We have 3 in-line filters on it (from Lowes), have raised the pump and still the water is brown. We also have lovely blue rings in the bathtub and sinks. There are brown streaks where water enters the commodes and often a brown ring in the tub and sink as well as the blue. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any ideas about what else we can do? We have had the water tested. There are lots of minerals in it, but it is safe to drink. Just in case we have a distiller and are distilling our water. (Call me a wimp, but I don't want gall stones or kidney stones. They just don't seem like fun to me and would not contribute to my life in any way.)

The real issue is that it keeps ruining our clothes. :grump: Periodically we have a big influx of brown something and the rinsed clothes come out looking like brown tie dye.

Any suggestions, help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

How much of the plumbing is in galvanized pipe? Is this a jet pump or a submersible?

3. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

4. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

How much of the plumbing is in galvanized pipe? Is this a jet pump or a submersible?

Almost none. All has been replaced by new plastic stuff. DH knows what it is called. I think I remember it being pex or something like that

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We had the same problem with ours and finally made some changes. We had a whole house filter system - one charcoal, one white string wound (from Menard's... similar to Lowe's) already in place but we were having the same problems and not only did our tub and toilets look terrible but our clothes were being ruined too. Our well water is high in iron.

I called a local plumber and had him come out to evaluate the problem. He did some checking and came back with 2 filtration systems that helped tremendously, but it cost about $1,200 total. One is a berm filter (about the size of a water heater and it cycles the bad water out once a week through the floor drain) and the other is a small spin filter (it spins the larger particles out of the water) - both do their jobs before the water reaches the whole house filters. Keep in mind the more filtration systems you use, the more they slow down the water pressure which finally comes out of the faucets, but it is still sufficient if it's adjusted properly. We also have a water softener; it cycles every week too.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

6. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Had the same problem. Just installed a Water Boss Softner two weeks ago(recomended on another thread).

Clear water and no orange or brown water. Got it at Home depot. $429.00 and installed it myself. Also much softer.
    Jill

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

We have the same problem, though not as bad as you.. We are limping along on those white filters from Lowes, they are supposed to last 3 months, we have to change them every 2 weeks. DH says our well, which is new, must have silt in it. It is safe to drink, just full of dirt. I am wowndering if anyone had tried those magnetic filters that you just hook up to your pipe...sounds too good to be true.