Water in Hydraulic fluid

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep getting water in my hyraulic fluid in my DB880. I change thefluid but I can't get it all out. Is there a way to flush the system? I have a loader on the tractor as well, so there are allot of lines, plus the tranny and pump.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What you have is probably condensation. You need to put the machine to work for 8 to 10 hours and the moisture will evaporate if the reservoir is vented.

3. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Working the machine is a good idea. It will help get rid of the moistue

If you wanna get rid of it, run the rig, use the heck out of the hydraulics, get it good and hot, then while still hot, drain the fluid. Let it sit for a few days to let the rest of the moisture evaporate, (in the hot sun!)

then refill it.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Might be condensation but if the boots on the shifter sticks are not perfect then you can get leaks into the tranny/hydraulic system. DB's are famous for that. CIH dealers could get them a couple of years ago, anybody with an A+I catelog on thier desk should too.

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i agree, check the boots, they are a problem on a lot of top shifter tractors.

6. agmantoo

Doesn't everyone park their tractor under a shed? If you can afford the tractor you can afford a shelter.

7. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

dont be so condesending. Some people who want to farm have to make ome difficult financial choices witch means choosing between a tractor or a shed when they first start out.

I agree with the two ideas presented here so far. Work the sytem. get it hot. that should evaporate the water, and draining the system afterward wouldnt hurt a thing. Chek for places where th ewater could be getting in. Shifter boots are a good plae to look. Oil fill caps, and dip sticks sometimes can loose their covers, and let rain in.

8. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

The boots look good, but it is the only thing I can think of that might let in the water. I changed the fluid before hay season, and it was milky the next time I checked it. I worked the tractor for 5-6 days during hay time.
    I don't see a breather on the tractor for the hydraullics. Maybe I should install one?

9. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

The breather can be a very small one and unfiltered. Check not only on the reservoir but on the arms(if they are part of the tanks). The hyd fluid is lighter than water so if you let it sit a couple of days the water will settle to the bottom. Is there a drain plug on the bottom somewhere. Let the water drain out and replug, then run the "heck" out of it and any accumulation should vent itself out. I keep small pieces of roofing rubber sheathing to cover my stuff. You can get it sometimes free just for the asking. Works great and lasts for many many years. Better than plastic!! When I have to leave my tractor outside I cover the goodies with something. Hope you find the problem,wc

10. agmantoo

"dont be so condesending. Some people who want to farm have to make ome difficult financial choices witch means choosing between a tractor or a shed when they first start out."

Different people have different approaches. By my statement above, I was stating that by affording the tractor (an assest) that by all means some type of shelter is justifiable to protect that asset. Additionally, I am the operator and the mechanic on my equipment ( I farm with used) and I know the consequences of parking equipment in the weather. A used machine properly cared for will give years of dependable service and will retain most of its value. Therefore my attitude, if it is worth buying then it is worth sheltering and sheltering should be a consideration when purchasing.

11. ozarks58

ozarks58 Member

You can't always be putting a tractor in a shed even if you have one. Unless you just got it to look at. Wake up.