water heaters

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by rickochet, Dec 15, 2004.

1. rickochet

rickochet Member

I have a 50 gal. plastic water tank with a trojan flapper bowl dispenser. Knowing I'll have to chip ice out of bowl I'd like to keep water in tank from freezing. The only thing I've found suitable for my needs is a allied floating tank deicer. At 1500 watts it's rated for 700 gal. stock tanks or ponds though the cost at $28 isn't bad, do I really need something this large?only thing smaller I've found is my wifes bird bath heater at 200 watts. But I don't think this will be enough. Thought about going ahead and purchasing the allied version, but the guard is not available to keep it off the plastic sides. And would have to have this shipped from another source at Christmas time since the local co-op carries the deicer and not the guard. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, Rickochet

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Just remember that a water heater that is too large might heat the water too hot to drink.

I really don't know of any good solution but I am sure some one here will.

Good luck.

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

http://www.deanbennett.com/stock-tank-deicers.htm

Try here Rick

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The floating tank heaters have a thermostat in them. They only run when the water temp gets down to the preset temp. The electric cord could be tied at the top opening to prevent the heater from touching the plastic sides or bottom of the tank.

5. rickochet

rickochet Member

siryet&uncle will,I thank you for your quick response.As mentioned the thermostat shut off does help alot,I will go to the CO-OP tomorrow to look at said unit.I like the idea of being able to tie the heater off,but only if I can be sure it does'nt break free and damage anything.Siryet I did take your advice and put the tank on a pallet wired off to one of the fence posts.So the drum is very secure.Maybe a tie-off would work.I'd prefer being able to purchase the guard,But at Christmas time this wont happen soon.So I'll see what I can do.I'd also like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year which I neglected to do so before,take care & stay safe,Rick.

6. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Go to jefferslivestock.com
    Just bought a water heater safe for plastic.Heats up to 50 gals.
    Perfect size!!
    500 watts,very fast shipping.good luck

7. rickochet

rickochet Member

miss kathy,thanks for the info I'll look now.It's 10 degrees here this morning with 6"of snow on the ground,In central AR for crying out loud!Happy Holidays to you & yours,Take care,Rick

8. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Your welcome,hope it works for ya! Merry Christmas

9. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

The high temperature today will be -6 F. Merry Christmas everyone:).

Tim

10. rickochet

rickochet Member

Tim,I feel for u my freind.Im a union Ironworker,which kept me in Des moines,IA. all of last winter.I had all I wanted!!Merry Christmas back at ya!Take care ,Rick

11. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

If the hogs can't get at the top of the barrel, I'd just run a piece of heat tape (like you buy for your household water line) around the top of the barrel and fasten it there with duct tape. Since barrels only freeze a few inches thick, if you keep the top from forming ice, that should prevent the rest from freezing.

12. rickochet

rickochet Member

Once again sir thank you for your info. I've never found a site more helpful than this in all my internet search, I believe it's the kind people involved in it. I did buy a floating deicer from farm n home today which seems to be working quite nicely. It was only $19 for the allied system rated at 1500 watts and $8 for the guard as I have a plastic drum. The only thing I have to do is break away from 150 ft ext. cord. Which is heavy duty construction grade. Then go to a romax (spelling?) after the holidays. Other then that have a merry christmas once again, Rick

13. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

I've been thinking about this too. Most of our waterers are 50 gallon barrels set deep into the ground so they stay ice free except in the most extreme temps. But, I would like to have a few feeders for milk and waterers that I could move. Right now I'm working on making a frost free waterer which consists of a 35 gallon plastic barrel inside of a 50 gallon plastic barrel with foam insulation between them and then nipples. We'll see how it works.

I tend away from the use of the electricity to warm the water if possible. Some of my experimental designs have solar warming. Even if one were to use electric heaters then it would still be wise to have as much insulation as possible to prevent the loss of heat.

Ideally I would like to use polyurethane foam between the barrels but I think I'll just be using foil and packed styrofoam peanuts for this model with pink board above and below. I've got a source for the foam in bulk (there's a misnomer!) but money's an issue. Next time perhaps if this goes well.

Right now I have a 5 gallon plastic pail with three stainless steel nipples on it is working very well for the weaners. I would like to have similar setups for all the animals so they would have a three day supply - just incase.

Cheers,

-Walter
    Sugar Mtn Farm