Water heater element

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Kenyon, May 11, 2006.

1. Kenyon

Kenyon Member

Does anyone know how to tell if an element is going bad on a hot water heater?

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Most water heaters have two elements. Kill the power at the breaker box. On the water heater, start with the lower element (it's usually the first to go), disconect the two wires and use a multi-meter to determine if there is continuity. If not, you have a bad element.

3. Bee_Rain

Bee_Rain plays well with others

As a matter of fact, we just replaced the element in our water heater today. We knew it was going because it starting taking 2 and 3 times as long to heat up the tank. Then, whenever the tank would turn on it would trip the breaker.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

When making the continuity test as suggest by Bare also check to see if either side of the element is shorted to ground. Put one lead of the meter on the element screw head and the other to the ground screw on the heater. Repeat with the other screw. If either has continuity then the element is shorted to ground. Obviously the element will need to be replaced if shorted in this manner or open as stated above. The shorted to ground condition can create excessively hot water and also unseat the safety valve.

5. joken

joken Well-Known Member

Water is conductive so you cannot check continuity. Use an amp meter and check the current draw. I suppose you might check the resistance thru a good element and compare that to the suspect one. I have never tried. Ken

6. Kenyon

Kenyon Member

thanks everybody! one more question...does anyone know how much it will cost to replace the element???

7. agmantoo

joken, I do not think you are aware of how a heating element is constructed. You can determine if the element is either open within itself or if it is shorted to the outer covering, both with a multimeter!

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

They come in all different dressings... just make sure watts/amps are the same and it should be no more than 20.00 per element. (that's the high side)

9. agmantoo

Kenyon, I have switched the upper good unit to the position of the lower bad unit when a replacement element was not available. Hardly any awareness will exist that you made the switch. If the top unit is defective I doubt that you would know it.