Water garden question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by humminbird, Jun 5, 2004.

1. humminbird

humminbird Member

Hi folks...just joined this forum a few days ago and have been trying to find a spot to post this question. I've added water gardening now to my other "hobbies", but have a question on crawdads. We're trying to put in a run off to circulate the water and I've been hauling in creek sand/gravel in buckets to add to the natural affect...I've been told if you get a crawdad in a lined or cement pool they can do all kinds of damage...anyone here have any experience with this? What I'm packing in has been on the bank, so its dry but wasn't sure if crawdads lay eggs, hatch live and if they do whichever in or out of the water. I've tried a few searches on the net but haven't run across any info on any of this, so if anyone has any info or a site to direct me too I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Hummingbird, I vaguely remembered as a child (a LOOOONNNNGGG time ago) seeing a female crawdad with babies under her tail. I did a search and sure enough my memory was correct--the eggs and young do develop there. I don't think you would have a problem digging up babies and definitely not eggs if you stuck to the dry sand/gravel areas.

Good luck with your water garden. I'm considering one.

Where are you located? I'm in central MO.

3. MOgal

MOgal Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know what the deal is--every time I have made a reply on the site of late, I've had to log in. Anyway, I was the responder who had seen baby crawdads on the mother's tail.

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We haven't had good luck keeping crawdads alive in our pond. We do have circulating water, lots of rocks, greenery, ect. The kids are always bringing up a couple crawdads that they made "friends" with down at the creek and wanting them by the house. I think the water is too warm in the pond. I've noticed that on warm days that they are deeper in the creek than on cooler days. Either that or the kids handle them too much, lol.

mljjranch

5. humminbird

humminbird Member

Hey, thanks for the info...I never did find anything on my searches but was getting pretty tired of looking too! My memory was a long time ago too, but I had thought the same thing, just wanted to be sure. We've already battled this particular pond THREE times and didn't want to add any more problems than necessary! :)

I'm in central MO also...upper end of Lake Ozarks region. We have 15 acres on a "ridge" that we've been working on now for 17 yrs. My gardening started with a small herb patch and has evolved now into an entire backyard section of flowers and shrubs. I got interested in water gardening a few yrs. ago and have used everything from cattle tanks to satelite dishes! *lol* I really enjoy it and especially the ones with running water...very peaceful, so I'd recommend trying one.

Thanks again for the reply and the info!

Humminbird

6. humminbird

humminbird Member

Mljjranch,
    You've actually kept them in the pond without problems huh? My s-n-l put in one a few years ago since they have an artisian well and water just runs freely at their place, but she told me they had a crawdad get in there and "bury" down making the pond leak, hence the warning! They eventually concreted it and said they still had crawdad problems...my reason for asking. Hubby's boss also said the same thing about theirs and they just let it go dry and gave up. I really couldn't imagine one crawdad doing all that damage, but thought I better check before I go throwing creek gravel around!!

Thanks!

Humminbird

7. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

When you have a pond with a clay bottom as opposed to a plastic or cement liner the clay is what keeps the water from leaking out. A crawdad will try to dig a hole that goes from the bottom of the pond and surfaces several feet away out of the pond, sort of an escape hatch. that lets the pond water drain away.