Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone drain yogurt to make it thicker and if so is the water that drains good for drinking or some other use?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I believe you drain yogurt to make yogurt cheese.

You shouldn't have to drain the yogurt to get it thicker.
When I made yogurt I used 2 tablespoons yogurt starter in about 3-4 cups of milk. I would put it in a pyrex dish that had a glass cover. After I dropped in the 2 T, I used a spoon to stir the yogurt-milk mix once or twice. I kept it in a gas oven and it took from overnight to at most 24 hours to produce thick, rich and creamy yogurt throughout the entire pyrex bowl. I did make sure that my starter has active or live good bacteria like acidophilus or etc. in it. I would basically only use Regular Dannon yogurt--non-flavored.

Also, the older gas oven had a constant warmth to it, with the pilot light on. The constant warm temperature is the key here. Some of the newer gas ovens are cold, these would not work. In that case use a dehydrator and the low dishes made especially to make yogurt in them or get a yogurt maker.

hth,
Cathy S.

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
the "water" is called whey

to make a thicker yogurt add either powdered milk or gelatin or both before heating the milk, also holding the milk at 180 for 45 min will help as well

there are lots of uses for whey

there is a thread about it on the dairy forum in the homemaking section

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,870 Posts
Yes, I filter my yogurt in a coffee filter. If you buy the expensive "Greek" yogurt at the high end grocery stores, that's what you are getting.

I love it. Add herbs and garlic for a wonderful cracker spread.

Add dried cranberries, a dash of vanilla, and a little sugar. Let set, and you have a fine topping for french toast or pancakes or waffles!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I looked up whey on google and found it is good and nutritious to drink. So I think that is what I'll do. I drain my yogurt because I like it thick like the Greek yogurt someone mentioned. I bought it once at Trader Joes when we were at my daughters in CA. Been hooked ever since. I make my own yogurt by the gallon so have that process down and don't want to add any powdered milk to the making for thickness. I follow a recipe for the specific carbohydrate diet and to insure you are not getting any lactose in the yogurt I culture for 24 hours. They say adding some solids my interfer with the lactose getting use up in the incubation time. Anyway thanks for the answers. I may have to find some way to flavor it though as it is rather bland.

·
Registered
289 Posts
jerzeygurl said:
the "water" is called whey

to make a thicker yogurt add either powdered milk or gelatin or both before heating the milk, also holding the milk at 180 for 45 min will help as well

there are lots of uses for whey

there is a thread about it on the dairy forum in the homemaking section
Wow there was a time that we were given boxes of powdered whey that we added water to make a milk-like drink. So that is what we were drinking!

It was good, and didn't upset my stomach like powdered milk does.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nancy said:
Does anyone drain yogurt to make it thicker and if so is the water that drains good for drinking or some other use?
I think it's called whey, and I use it as a sub for milk and/or water in some of my baking :) I also drain my yogurt sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts