Water for kids

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Dec 21, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

When do you need to start providing water for kids that are nursing? If you do, what kind of water container do you use?

2. stoneymom

stoneymom Well-Known Member

I always have water available to them from the start. We have a short bucket in one corner of the goat pen that is easy for them to get to. We change the water 2 times a day and have never had any problems doing it like this. Hope it helps!

Myra

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We always provide water straight off as well. Small buckets they cannot get into ..fence hanging type buckets work well for us.

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

We always provide water for the babies right fron the start. In the kid pen for bottle babies, we use a small bucket when they are small and move on to a bigger water container when they are bigger. For the babies in with their moms they drink from the same container as the does. one of those oval black 40 gallon containers.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read that water is actually bad for young ruminants, as it hampers the curdling and digestion of the milk. I do not offer it the first few weeks with bottle babies. The ones on their dams do have access to the water buckets, but I don't believe they drink much the first few weeks, since they would go to the dams when thirsty.
    mary

6. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

I do not dam raise so I can't speak about that. With my babies that are on a lambar I don't put water in the pen until they are 2 weeks old. It dilutes the milk they drink and yes does inhibit curdling. Also if they have milk in their lambar bucket they will go to it first and it will benefit them more.(one reason I try and make sure they have milk in their bucket several times a day.) If they were on thei dam they would not start drinking water younger than 2 weeks unless they tried a little sip because mom was drinking.(I have dam raised many years ago)

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have water in with the babies from the start, since we let the dams raise them, and the dams need water, we just leave a small bucket of water in for the babies and by 1 week old they normally start to nose around it a bit. Good Luck with your babies, bye.

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Most of my goats are dam raised and I never worry about leaving a water bucket out. I can't even recall them taking any during the first weeks.

9. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

just do not use thsoe really large paint type buckets my friend had a baby goat drown in one of those.
    Liz

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually put a water bucket inside an upside down milk crate to make it harder for the kids to fall in. And I don't put it in with them till they are 2 weeks or so old and steady on their feet. The dam-raised kids drink out of the same 40 gallon tub as momma.