Water filtration

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, May 22, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

What type of point of use water filtration have you had the best success with? I'm on city water now and have used RO in the past but it seems like a lot of wasted water. This time of year we drink a LOT of water and I'm looking for a new system to install at the kitchen sink for drinking water.

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have always used an RO system. Son uses the Britta filter which doesn't waste water. Both systems were good. We have our own well so that solves the waste problem for us.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've used an RO system on a well, you have to pump all of that wasted water so it is a factor.

4. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

I used to distill -now have RO. I preferred distilled ( I eat tons of vegetables so I get vitamins and minerals that way), but RO is good and more energy efficient. There are zero waste return systems that return the waste water into your hot water supply, although mine just goes into my graywater for the decorative plants and areas in my lawn that are non-food. It is pretty easy to catch the RO run-off seperate, and if it's potable it probably would be fine going to the garden as well, I'm just crazy about pure water and food. ~LoL~

Here is the one for my unit, although I would probably just build it myself on the cheap. If you look at the .pdf (get adobe acrobat reader for free if you don't have it) in the second link and are handy you can figure it out.

http://www.premierh2o.com/watts/sho...-47423361&st3=30340742&Product_ID=121&CATID=1

http://www.premierh2o.com/premier/manuals/Zero-Waste-Retrofit-WP.pdf

~Michael in Boise