Water During the Winter

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmgirl2005, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Guest

Im thinking about getting goat as you all know, but i have a important question in my mind, well i have been reading all the threads on water heaters, well i geuss 2 ?'s. How much do water heaters run, and will the goats, really need a water heater.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I don't use heaters. I give fresh water once a day. Haven't had any die yet.

3. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I do not use water heaters either. I have 2 - 10 quart black rubber buckets. I switch them back and forth instead of having ot go to the barn and bring the bucket back to clean out and fill back up and take it back to the barn. I fill the empty one take it as I go and bring the other one back ready to refill and take back the next time and so on. They are great in the winter, they will not crack or bust if frozen. I give fresh water daily too and mine do great. I think you need to just do what is best for your situation.
    Tina

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Similar to tduerson, I have 2 5-gallon buckets I change out. The frozen water bucket gets exchanged for a bucket of hot water once a day. It stays liquid long enough that everyone gets a good drink.

I have 4 critters, 2 sheep and 2 goats, so the 5 gallons is plenty of water for them. I could see needing stock tank water heaters and the like if I had a larger herd, or needed to haul more water.

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

We water 2 x a day. Just enough so there is a little left over.

6. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on where you live. We do use heated automatic waterers for our horses and our buffalo herd because they drink such large quantities even in the winter but the goats have five gallon buckets with de-icers in them. When the temps here get into the negative range water freezes solid and it stays there until summer. I take eight gallons a day out to the goats of hot water because they relish the HOT water. Then the de-icer keeps the water from freezing no matter what the temps are. So far, the de-icers have kept the water from freezing in temps as low as -65.

Marla

7. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

When the winter weather was warmer and it did not freeze for weeks, I used the buckets to water the goats. It was nice to have lots of 5 gallon buckets and change one full of warm water for the frozen ones.
    Now it seems to stay frozen for weeks and I use a stock tank and a stock tank heater. I have gotten a lot older and less able to carry two 5 gallon buckets at a time, too. Either way seems to be okay for the goats.

8. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

We use the 2 1/2 gal. heated bucket.Very easy on the electric bill.My chickens have a heated dog bowl,also,very low wattage. They work great.

9. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

this is Farmgirl2005, i use this screen name when out of town, thanks so much for the advice, i appericate it.
    Lyn

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have 5 gal. buckets, that hang on the wall, and are plugged in. the yaork great. and my goatie's water stays warm. the ylove it, and on days like today, 0 to 19[maybe ]above, I add , karo syrup to their water, just a touch, nutri drench, and a box of jello, or kool-aid, or gator aid. the ylove it, and drink it, and I know that the yare getting all of their water. the reason I do this, is because I had one goat, that wasn''t drinking the cold water, and got dried out. so now, I do this , and everyone is happy, me and the goats.s

11. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

We have the plugged in buckets for everyone except the bucks. They get hot water twice a day in their 2 gallon rubber buckets. I don't bother with more because they don't drink that much, and it's frozen in a few hours anyhow. They've learned to suck it down while I am standing there so I can refill it.

As far as price -- the drop in heaters can be had for under $20, the bucket type are more in the $35 range. Calling them heaters is a bit deceptive -- they don't actually heat the water hot, they just keep it from freezing.

One investment that I LOVE is the hot water heater stick that you drop into a bucket. It will heat almost to boiling if you give it long enough, and it's wonderful not to have to make trips to the house for hot water.

Tracy

12. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

This question maybe stupid but what is a heater stick, is it plug in or is it like a snap stick, sorry im completly outside the box on this one.
    Lyn

13. keithil53

keithil53 Member

I have brush goats at a location where I don't live.Last year I
    bought a solar aerator (about $300) which I put at the edge
    of a pond.Last winter and so far this winter, it has been satisfactory.
    Location central Illinois.It also could be put in a water tank.
    Keith

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

In the winter when it is freezing weather we give the goats warm water twice a day. ofcourse it cools off after being in the barn but never freezes before they have another warm bucket of water.

16. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

interesting, if pricey. aerating it like that also helps clean stagnant water.