Water Delivery in Winter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nax, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I would like to build a bigger chicken coop and get more chickens, but I'm trying to think of how to get water to them in the Winter. Right now, I use a hose on the outside house tap, but come about Thanksgiving, that won't be practical anymore, and come January, impossible.

I'm thinking of putting a utility sink in my attached garage so that I won't have to trapse through the house to carry water. But, I'm wondering, what do you, who live up North do for water in the Winter for your livestock? If I had swine or cattle, I would consider running a line--but I think that might be overkill for a chicken coop, however grand.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Shoot, I'm in NC, and water in winter is still a problem! I've got one of those supposedly no-freeze spigots at the barn...that's a laugh.

I have big tubs for the goats, the waterfowl, and the chickens, and I put brooder lamps over them. The lamps are hung from thier cords, also hung by a rope, and then have their clamps secured, too, to reduce the risk of fire. I figure there's no more risk than if I was actually brooding something.

That keeps what's out there from freezing. Then I have a wagon and buckets and haul from the house. It gets old. I hate winter.

Meg

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't have alot of freezing days in SC, but what I have set-up is a over-head water line that tapers down hill to the chicken pin water bucket, mine is on a timer so it comes on every few hours for just a few seconds------the water drains out the line each time so it don't freeze, but then again my chicken pen is only about 40ft from the water supply, but I am sure it would work alot farther. You can always fill a gallon jug ----keep it indoors---and carry them water a few times a day. Good Luck. Randy

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Wow, that would be sad to hate winter! Check out this nice site at longshadowfarms:

http://www.longshadowfarms.com/winter.html

There are a ton of products to help with cold weather these days and getting water to our birds.You might also post this question over on The Poultry Connection for even more ideas. The more the better! LOL

Good luck, I would hate to deal with really cold weather, although the ducks love it.

LQ

5. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I use 2 rubber ( Black ) feed bowls, and haul my water out in a watering can 2 times a day. I like winter but hate the watering the chickens chore. :)
    If the water freezes in the bowl a good bang releases it.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

For me, there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about winter. It's not sad, it's just a fact. Mostly because I have severe Raynaud's Phenomenon, and spend most of the winter in and out of painful attacks. It's not fun. Hauling water in freezing weather means I'm crying from pain the whole way. The brooder lamp set-up reduced the time spent out there dramatically, which reduces the amount of time in pain.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I water my goats using hot tap water twice maybe 3 times a day. They have learned to drink up while its warm.

My first year with Chix but I am planning to water them as I do the goats...I may warm a rock on the woodstove to place in the waterer to keep warmer longer.

8. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Buckets for the goats and fresh waters for the chickies twice a day at least.

9. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

I can't keep the water from freezing here in Alaska, But a deep dish stays clear longer than a shallow one.

10. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

I use plastic chicken waterers with a 45 or 60 watt bulb hanging on the outside of the chicken wire next to it. I have a section of my coop fenced off for storage and put the waterer by it so the bulb isn't in with the chickens. It is enough to keep it from freezing up durning the day. I keep two waterers and take out one with new water and bring in the frozen one each morning.

For my ducks, I used gal. milk jugs with a hole cut in the side. Again, I took out a fresh one and brought in the frozen one only I did that at least twice a day. The ducks' water is kept outside.

This worked well but I do only keep a doz. or so chickens and 4 ducks. I don't know what I would do with a large flock. :no:

Jennifer