Water coming into basement faster than I can clean it up...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by travlnusa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Here in NW Wisconsin, the ground is still frozen. Add to that 2.5" of rain last night. Add to that, I never got around to getting the gutters on the house last fall.

All added up equals water flowing into the basement through every nook and crack ever made.

Walked downstairs this morning, and when my bare foot landed in 2" of water, I knew it was going to be a long day.

Wife and I have two wet dry vac running every 30 mins to keep up with what has newly seeped in. I found an old submerable pump that I put into a large bucket. As the vacs fill up, I dump them into the bucket, and the pump with hose running up the stairs and out the door carries off the water.

I tried just about every product local hardware stores offers, but have yet to have one work to stop the flow of water.

I see a very long night ahead of us.

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

why dont you set the pump on the floor to suck up the water? I take it this is a new home? I hope if it is you sealed the outside of the basement.I know I am asking stupid questions but I am just throwing ideas at ya ;) Is it possible for you to go buy those cheap plastic gutters? Just until you can get good ones? So sorry for your mess that really bites.....

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

unfortunately theres nothing you can do right now ....
    other than deal with the water,
    then when it dries, you have to get to work , one, you know you should have put the gutters in , so youll have to get to that, make sure the slop on the base of the house is away from the fondation , not towards it,
    since you havent had the trouble before, assume for nnow its fixable with those two things, i know our house in ne wis used to flood in spring when the same conditions hit, not much you could do other than cut hole in basement floor and install permant sump pump
    in addition to the gutters, etc, but honestly, if the gutters and filling in around the house do it for you, then great , otherwise there is a product called rubber sela, its a rubber coating the put on the outside of the foundation of the house, they use it a lot down here with the springs and hillside drainage , its generally put in when the foundation is poured before the backfilling , but you could have someone come in excavate the foundation , pray they dont find crumbling , etc .
    and have them spray it on, ist a lot like the spray in bedliners for trucks , its about a 1/4 inch thick , and bright blue or green ...

anyhow, good luck , thought i would reply since no one else has as of yet.
    Beth

4. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

The house is 100 to 30 yrs old, depending on what room you are standing in.

The whole house was jacked up about 10 yrs ago and a new basement floor was poured and new cinder block walls. This is the first occurance.

I do believe that with the gutters and re-sloping the ground around the house will do it. Good idea on slope, I went out and used a level. Sure enough it is sloped towards the house going out 5-8 feet

If not, then two holes in floor with sump baskets and pumps, but that will wait until next spring to see if other fixes worked.

Well, back to the basement......

5. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

I have fixed a basement with bad problems, such as this. I rented a jack hammer and busted up the floor about 24 inches from the wall, to the wall. I then dug down and installed 4 inches of gravel, a four inch perforated drain tile, four more inches of rock, then re-poured the concrete. I routed the drain tile to a sump (via gravity). It was a lot of work but I spent less than $300. A company would have done the same thing and charged thousands.