water collection?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wizzard, May 11, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

i have been considering a fairly large plot of land in nevada or its neighboring states. the problem i am faced with is that the particular peices of land i have been looking at have no water suply. therefore i would have to find a way to collect water. drilling wells generaly doesn't work in this area. is there some other way i could collect water? or should i look for some different land?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Guess it really depends on what you are planning to do with the water. Just household? Maybe a small greenhouse? Not likely to be able to grow much without irrigation water, so if you want to be able to raise animals and feed for them it will be difficult. Lots of people haul water, but that requires always having a dependable truck and puts lots of wear on the truck and on the person hauling. And you can't really haul enough for a garden. I've known people in CO who tried it and gave up half way thru the summer. But a raincatch on the roof will give enough for household use in some areas. You will need to find out average rainfall in the area you are looking and go from there.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Average rainfall is not enough information, the PATTERN of rainfall counts also. For example, where I grew up in California it pretty much only rained in the winter.

You SHOULD be able to get a monthly rainfall average for the area you are interested in.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Given the ever increasing price of fuel and the fact that You will Need to probably install adequate Storage capacity you will need a plan and the Capital to fund this plan ....fordy.. :)

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I say different land...I'd never want land where water is not readily available.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

So, where would you be collecting the water from????

Generally that is a very dry area, little rainfall for long periods.....

There is a reason cheap land is cheap..... Think long & hard about that.

--->Paul

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, the pattern of rain matters. But if the average is too low there is no point in delving any further. I once lived where the average was 4 inches a year. Not doable, no matter what the pattern. If you have enough average rainfall, then you can find out the pattern and decide how much storage/collection area is needed.

8. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Land without a reliable supply of water should only be considered if it is free or very very cheap.

Rainfall in an arid climate is by no means reliable.

You can always build your own tanker truck & build your own water tower. Of course, you recognize the economic folly of such foolishness.

Land without water, IMHO, is worthless.

9. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

And water collection may not be legal, especially in the west.