water capacity of pipes

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by leaping leon, May 1, 2005.

1. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Over a year ago I saw a chart (found it by accident) giving the water capacity of differnt sizes of pvc pipe for instance "x" size of pvc holds "y" amount of water in "z" length. I can't find it now, although I've used several different word combinations on searching online. Anyone know how I can find this? If not online, a book or a chart from a pipe supplier would be great, too.

I know I could figure this out, using my math-gifted teenager, but she's got a job now. I would like a "cheat sheet" showing the capacity of several different sizes of pipe, ranging from 1" up to 6".

I'm in the early phases of designing a water system that will rely upon a solar pump, and am thinking of using pvc pipe as part of the water storage system; also need to know the filled weight of different sizes of pvc (I can figure that out once I have the capacity numbers.)

Thank you for any info you can provide.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if i remember right a 6 inch well casing holds about 1.6 gallons a foot so i guess 3 inch would be half of that and so on iff i remember like i said

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im sry its 1.5 gallons per foot of 6 inch

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pounds of water = pipe length in feet X pipe diameter in inches2 (squared) X 0.34, from the Ace Hardware Referance Book.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Too cold & tired here to give the right formuila, but cutting diameter in 1/2 does _not_ cut volume in 1/2, that is totally wrong!!!! You need to involve pi. It's not a linear equation.

--->Paul

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

o it seemed like it would work

7. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

The volume of a cylinder is pi (3.1416) x radius squared x height. For a pipe that would be pi x (1/2 diameter) squared x length of pipe (in inches). That will give you the volume in cubic inches. There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, so if you divide by 231, it will give you the number of gallons that the pipe will hold. If you are mathematically challenged, here is a website that will automagicly calculate the volume in square inches: http://www.mathepower.com/english/zylinder.php . Just enter the pipe diameter in the base field, and the pipe length in the altitude field.