Water Buffalo

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TEEBOUT, Sep 29, 2004.

1. TEEBOUT

TEEBOUT Member

Ok we are looking into different ways of bringing in income through varies ways, has anyone tried water buffalo? We have decided on chickens(egss & meat, feathers for fishing lures) goats ( soap,lotion, milk, cheese, & meat) garden (organic veggies) wood working, Honey Bees (honey, royal bee jelly, pollen, candles) dogs(trained for hunting & pets) yeah I know a lot to chew...we're 2 families taking on this venture. Now i'm staring to research water buffalo any info on this?

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wondering, what do you raise water buffalo for? Meat or draft animals or..?

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well i think fuel verses feed and time you are ahead of the game buying fuel

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

'Real' fresh mozzarella is made from Buffalo milk....Hence the name Buffalo Mozzarella :D

As to the cost effectiveness,no idea.

I imagine you are looking at the Asian Water Buffalo?

There were a few websites with info on them,a university in Florida was doing something with them I believe.

What purpose were you looking at Water Buffalo for?

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I know someone in Austrailia with water buffalo. He has to stay home a lot because they can be dangerous and create a liability if someone gets hurt. Also, they can be very stubborn and are too big to argue with. I think bunnies would be a safer, easier bet!

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but why not pick something you do not have to create a market for? Or educate consumers about? When you are just starting out you have a lot to do as it is. Why not sell a product people have heard of. I recommend you also check with your local agriculture/extension agent to see if there are special restrictions or special processing rules for exotic livestock.

Why not choose some livestock that the community already embraces. For that matter, sheepsmilk can also make great cheese. Why not cows/cattle for your meat and milk and of course the products you can craft from same?

7. TEEBOUT

TEEBOUT Member

I am adventurous, I am looking for things that are different, If I get what everyone else has the market is already set. in today's world people are bored with the same ole same ole, If you noticed we are looking at the typical farm animals, but I also would like to try something to make a better profit. I am in the research stages, water buffalo came to mind because there is a growing market for the meat and the milk for cheese. it is consider to be a healthy form of red meat. It has the flavor comparible to beef, half the colesterol, and 20% less fat. with so many people trying to be heart smart today why not give it a try? I am concerned with the nature of the beast... and about the fencing required, are they kept like cattle or do they need extra care? Thanks for the resources that were offered. I also like the research of an adventure there is always so much to learn. (then the real learning comes with the hands on :eek: ) Thanks T

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Hey T, I didn't mean to sound discouraging, but you are talking about a big investment for adventure. They have tried and tried to sell emu and ostrich meat in my community and it just hasn't caught on. Perhaps you could speak with some chefs in the community around you to see if they would want it. Or you could flash freeze it and ship it for big dollars to a larger urban market. I am trying to picture you milking a buffalo :p

Are you near an urban market that would be interested?

You might consider doing something interesting with regular livestock. Grassfed beef goes for top dollar in gourmet shops. SSSHHHH, don't tell my local farm guy who sells it to me by the half!

9. TEEBOUT

TEEBOUT Member

LOL :haha: yeah I get a funny feeling thinking about it too,LOL I have not had the pleasure of milking anything. I'm sure I will end up on my hiny a few times, right now our adventure is in the resarch stage we are pumped though and so so ready. My Husband has been trying for 15 yrs for me to take on this adventure now he has me and my sister-in-law both ready to tackle the wilderness. ( he forgot how head strong i can get when I decide to do something never small) we are having so much fun with all the things that out there for us to do and she is just like me. This forum is also so cool and very informative, I think I'm getting addicted to you guys! Thanks T

10. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

11. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

There's a write-up about a small water buffalo dairy in Virginia in one of the issues of Creamline. Issue #6. http://www.smalldairy.com/pubs.html

Creamline calls itself "a quarterly devoted to bringing small dairies together to share information and to facilitate the revival of the small local creamery". You can read a free sample issue on the website above.

12. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Well, my wife has raised water buffalo. She grew up in the Philippines. They call them carabao. She never tried to milk one, but says when they have a baby, they will kill you. Mostly with the horns. If they get you down, then the feet come into play. But the prefered weapon is horns. Other times, they are docile. I never had any trouble walking around them and scratching them. She says they train easily, and are smart. Everyone there ties them all the time because they like to escape and disappear. They poke a hole thru the nose and run the rope there and tie a knot on the other side.

A carabao is more picky than a cow when it eats. It won't eat grass that has manure on it or around it. It won't clean up grass, it only eats the top and then refuses to eat more. Since they are tied to a tree, they have to be moved two or three times a day to fresh grass. They need shade or else they get sick and get diarrhea if left in the sun too long. The thick skin is kinda like human skin and sensitive to insects. If they get a wallow full of water or thin mud, they can spend days in there with just the nose poking out.

I don't know what you will do with your buffalo. They can pull a plow all day and are really strong. I saw a hunting show from Florida where they were bowhunting regular old carabao, but these things were smart and wary. It took the guy a few days but he finally stuck one.

The meat is alright, nothing special. It can be tough, but over there, they mainly butcher the worn out working carabao. Plus everything there is cooked well done, or more. I think a well grilled thick steak might be about like American bison, which also isn't that great. Good luck.

13. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Let me explain a situation that happened near here with a water buffalo. A prominent local agriculture related business that has a herd of beef cattle branched out to include watter buffalo. Remember these are experienced cattle people. The water buffalo were being moved to new pasture using a Gator vehicle as the driving device. The Gator driver has done this many times and without incident. At an open gate all the water buffalo females went right on through as per usual. The bull did not want to go for some reason. The driver attempted to crowd the bull with the machine. Wherein, the bull decided to destroy the aggressor and proceeded to charge. The bull totally destroyed the Gator and malled the operator. The operator managed to crawl aside and thus saved his life. The man was eventually found and taken to the hospital where for weeks it was uncertain if he would recover. He did recover but he had to have one leg amputated and continues to try to get his life back to some semblance as to before the mishap. I suggest beef cattle!

14. poppy

poppy Guest

I remember a few years ago at an exotic animal auction a guy brought one to sell. He had raised it hinself and got in the ring with it to show how tame it was. Maybe because of the crowd or noise, but the thing turned on him and killed him. Zebras can be the same way.

15. TEEBOUT

TEEBOUT Member

yes yes yes I am re thinking the thought.... I am 5'3" not a very big person.... I get the picture. I want to enjoy our adventure so I think unless my husband decides that he really wants to try this, water buffalo are well out of the picture. ok so what else can we try that won't maul or permantly cripple us? any ideas? Oh and we have thought about the bunnies.. meat & a worm bed underneath :p We love to fish and with a big lake in the area we are looking at. It could be a good source for sells, plus the fishing lures we will make out of feathers and cork/wood.(my sons idea). He made some last year when I was learning how to use power tools that was fun and interesting then we would go to the flea market and sell our items. I am open to lots of ideas. Thanks T

16. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

How about raising fish or shrimp? That seems to be something you know something about already since you like to fish anyway.

17. TEEBOUT

TEEBOUT Member

actually we have considered shrimp but I really don't like the big 1 lb ones that ponds typically grow, I like shrimp to come at least 20 to the lb.,my husband knows how to make a siene to fish them up with.There is probably a market for shrimp in the area we are looking at but the land we are considering is in the mountains. My husband had worked for an uncle that has 100's of acres of catfish ponds that he grows and then quick freezes to sell. lots of $ for equipment and over head. to make a profit it takes years of expenses. in West Virginia they have lots of shrimp ponds, not sure if it would be feasible in the mountains.I guess there are lots of mountains in WV uh? not sure about where they are or if I have the right state. But we have looked into it cause we could get used equipment from uncle. But his stuff is worth gold.... I have been trying to ffind flea markets in the area that we are looking at,all seem to be hours away. Has anyone heard of Bonnie & Clydes flea market? We have gone to flea markets here in the south and set up a booth and did well selling junk. Flea Markets could be a once a month thing for extra money. Does any one think there is a market for birds, parrots or cockateils? any thoughts on that?
    Thanks T

18. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

If and only IF you can find a market, can anything be profitable. If noone will buy it, it isn't worth anything. Cockatiels and small conures MIGHT be worth your time, effort and money only if you can market them. In the hills of West Virginia, you would probably have a hard time selling a $400.00 sun conure. Do a search here for the exotic livestock link I started not long ago. We've found small parrots only to be profitable because I manage a chain store that we can sell the babies too and only because we've finally discovered a way to house and care for them that is not wasteful.

19. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

A few years back,I was looking for a way to make some money as I was unemployed at the time.

I looked into raising rabbits as feeders.By contacting a 'reptile house' in a nearby city I could of sold 50 rabbits a week to them alone.They were willing to pay $3ea or $5ea(I can't remember which) and I also found another exotic pet store that would take 25 a week for $5ea....

I never went into it but it is a thought-youjust need to find a market BEFORE you decide on a product.

20. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

"Raise cabbage. I have never heard of anyone attacked by one."

Cabbage always gets its revenge in the end...usually several hours after the initial encounter!