Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have three rows of sweet corn about 2 weeks out. Sunday I watered the corn and Sunday night we had a front move through with 60 mph winds. Down went the corn. This morning it was about 75% back up. Guess we won't loose it after all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rick, it helps to hill your corn. Just hoe some dirt around the bottom of the plants on each side. I do this about 3 or 4 times, until I can't do it anymore. The stalks put down more roots inside the hills. It will help keep them up in moderate winds and help them stand back up after a severe storm.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Had a similar situation here about a month ago. A sudden high gust of wind/winds laid the corn about 30 degree angle to the ground. It was hilled up and mulched, or else it would have been worse. I propped up most of it. It recovered and is now doing fine.
glad your corn came back up!

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i was able to hill up the corn to about 10-12 inches. this is the first year i have not had it blow down. then again, we haven't had near as many storms as we should have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.