Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
What are your suggestions for a plot of land that has no water or electricity?
Thanks,
thehoffs

·
Super Moderator
9,762 Posts
Electricity is the easy part for starters a decent generator run when you need it is fine
just get a propain refrigorator and freezer

water , if you only live there part time then hauling it in may be an option , but that gets the question how cold does it get
and did you want to take a bath or shower.

camp on it you need neither ?
maybe more than camp many a shack have niether
a saw dust toilet or outhouse , wood stove , maybe a propane stove for cooking and a few oil lanterns

there you go a tar paper shack and you are in all set , the tar paper lasts longer if you paint it other wise you may have to change it every 5 years or so

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
You wouldn't be so lucky to have a spring that would give you a spring fed well all year round ?? That would be perfect !! Otherwise maybe you could store water somehow. Rain water for washing and plants and buy tanked in water to be stored from the outside. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Well the simplest reply is --- install it or live without it.

Depending upon your state and area water may not be too hard to obtain. Can a driven well point suffice to get it if shallow? Will it have to be drilled and to what depth and at what cost? Can a windmill be used to pump the water or will you need a greater quantity? Would you be satisfied using a gravity water system if a windmill pumps into a raised tank? If a windmill and well cylinder are used make sure the well casing is large enough for a cylinder to fit into without rubbing a hole in the side while operating. A pump jack powered by electric motor, gasoline motor, or possibly some other power would work too for a well with cylinder. If not too deep and you won't require much water a hand pump is also an option.

As to electricity--what are your needs? Can you get by without? Will you demand air-conditioning in the summer? If you are ultra conservative you may wish to consider staying off grid but remember that at this stage of the game purchased power per KWH is nearly always considerably cheaper than a photovoltaic set up, or PV & wind.

Other things to consider--are utility companies willing to bring you their product, and at what cost? Can you afford that? I am lucky in that my property has a fantastic water supply which will allow continual 35 gmp pumping for market garden irrigation. With drop tubing that is a lot of water. Also electric lines cross the edge of the property and gas lines are within a few hundred feet and would only have to cross one other land owner to reach my property. I'm set if and when I want utilities.

Best of luck to you with your choices.

·
Registered
317 Posts
There are lots of people in our area who haul water. There are ovehead hose type spicots where you can buy the water in several locations. It's heavy to haul at 8lbs a gallon.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
These are just a couple of the major items that should be look at when buying property.

In some states, even if there is water there, you might not be able to own the water rights. One thing to check on.

Rain water collection or water purchase/storage are possible, if well depth/cost is prohibitive. Sewer/septic is the other end of this. Whats allowed?

Electric can be a major expense if the grid isn't near by. A friend was quoted something like $30 K, to run a line 2 miles to his property. Uses gen set and batteries.

Road access (easements, high banks, low ground etc) need to be looked at.

Zoning, land use permits, flood plain, number of acres need per residence, occupancy permits, min sq. footage etc. All considerations.

Some times cheap land is cheap because of these limitations.
Know what your buying.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the property and the area (climate).

Is it just that power isn't ran to the property yet or not available at all?

How deep is the water table in the area? What do others in the area do? Rain collections depends on state laws.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Water and power are irrelevant, imho. As long as your not living in a cave, you can go solar, and possibly wind. Water can be hauled.

The big question is.......... Are there neighbors? No water or power is great if it's going to be impossible to get those utilities in the area... as w/o those two, most folks won't live there. No neighbors would be a huge bonus.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Hello to all,
What are your suggestions for a plot of land that has no water or electricity?
Thanks,
thehoffs
I guess the first thing I would do is see what the possibilities are to have electricity brought in and a well drilled.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,628 Posts
We used rain water,Gas Lanterns.Canned most everything.Did without on stuff that had to be refridgerated.

Then we had a Well Drilled about year and half after we moved here,drawed water by Bucket.Then a woman said we was getting electric wheather we wanted it or not.Went all to heck from there.

big rockpile

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Answer to the OP

. . .Get Out Your Checkbook . . . .

Go to the local health dept. and a local well driller to get an idea of how deep you have to go . . . $$$

Is there Zoning in that area . . .??
Zoning can be very bad news--$$$$$---to meet the stupid restrictions.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Rain water collection or water purchase/storage are possible
This is definitely a good option, but make sure it's legal. (Some states don't allow the "diversion" of rainwater)

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Personally, I would not want to live at anyplace that did not have a good, clean, plentiful, reliable source of onsite water -- and especially if I was planning any kind of livestock farming operation. I have lived without water for short periods, the longest being 3 weeks, and while I can do it, I sure do not like it a bit. About Day 20 of that 3 weeks, which was due to an ice storm, and I was sick and tired of having every drop come in only as a result of my hard labor hauling it. It takes a lot of time and planning, too.

That's just me, though -- you may love it, and be able to get by on rainwater and a cistern or something.

I'd check with folks around your site to see how feasible a well is, how deep you'd have to go, water quality, etc.

The electricity part, as others said, is easier. I know people doing it just on 4 marine batteries, solar panels, a 12V water pump and LED lighting. If it were me, I'd want at minimum that system plus a backup generator for those times when I need to run heavy duty equipment like power saws, etc. Another generator alternative is one mounted to a tractor PTO, or you can go with an inverter (110 out of 12v; people call them different terms depending on where they live in the USA) connected to a car or truck 12V system for short-term use (it costs too much fuel to use it long-term), or an inverter connected to the solar system (which may require more battery capacity).

Propane refrigerator and wood-fueled cook/heat stoves, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for all the wonderful input. This is very encouraging. We are looking to live on a land, but are also considering a land, for camping purposese, or one for short term living...a year or so. We are gathering information and gathering ideas, so that we are more prepared when it is our time!!!:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts