Watching wild rabbits do the binky

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Doc, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost every evening we sit out at the barn with our barn cat in a lap as we watch the day draw to a close. Almost every evening we see something fun and amazing among the wildlife that visit.

Last evening (7:30 or so), two rabbits were running around the pasture and every so often do a binky (at least what I read on line). They were hilarious, chasing each other and then going off separately, coming together and jumping up in the air. I wanted it to go on and on, but eventually, I didn't see either of them anymore.

Just thought it was fun.

2. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Did the barn cat look interested, or just sleep? He must be really well-fed to not be interested in rabbits.
    It sounds like you had a wonderful night. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

3. Doc

Just purring away, not the least bit interested. She is 14 and doesn't do much anymore but sleep and eat and keep her "attitude".

Seriously (!), I'd like to know more about this behavior known as the "binky" if anyone cares to share. I don't know much about rabbits but they seem pretty cool.

4. scarlet812

scarlet812 Well-Known Member

I've seen a pair of wild ones here playing in the front yard, running around like crazy bunnies, chasing each other in and out of the shrubberies. It's so cute to see them playing and having fun like that. :)

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Cottontails here towards the end of winter put on quite a show. On a moonlit night, it is not uncommon to see them courting. They stand face to face and start doing little vertical jumps, first one and then the other. Over and over. Then they dash away in opposite directions, meet up again and start all over again. I suppose eventually they get down to business but their courtship takes a lot longer than the mating itself.

Once in summer we had a garden bed that was dug up but not yet planted. A young cottontail discovered it and spent the longest time running at it and then skidding in the dirt. Wipe-out! Over and over. It was just about the funniest thing I've seen a rabbit do.

6. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

They were hilarious, chasing each other and then going off separately, coming together and jumping up in the air.

That sounds a lot more like two defensive rabbits fighting, not having fun.

Suzyq2u likes this.
  7. MaggieJ

More likely courting behaviour. Wild rabbits don't need to fight because the less dominant one will simply run away.

8. Doc

Well, if they were fighting, they were doing it at a distance. It was all chase and binkies (without the other one being near), one rabbit running one way, the other rabbit going in a different direction and then they would come together again.

No defensive posturing at all.

9. TheDerek

TheDerek Well-Known Member

What is a 'binky' exactly?

10. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Must be a bunny club near by.

11. MaggieJ

Doc a binky is an exhuberant hop with a kick to the side. It usually denotes high spirits.

cats likes this.
  12. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

I once watched a pair of muskrats do the same thing. They were having the greatest time. I watched them for over an hour. That was in the mid '70s- it made a huge impression for me to remember for this long.

13. Doc

Yes, I guess I've done the human version of the binky before, being in high spirits.

One of the benefits of having a farm is watching the animals, both domestic and wild, and how they derive pleasure. One of our cows enjoys rubbing herself against a cedar tree, and she looks forward to it every evening. I happened to see the cedar moving violently back and forth once, and since there was no wind, wondered what in the world. Turns out this 1500 pound gal was in bliss (her facial expression said it all).

The mini-horse does a mini-version of the same thing (the rub is in a different place).

Very fun.

14. MDKatie

MDKatie Well-Known Member Supporter

Until MaggieJ clarified it, I thought I was reading about rabbit mating. :teehee:

hercsmama and mnn2501 like this.
  15. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, me too!

My Guinea pigs do binkies as well and until we got them I never even knew they could jump.

Dontcha just love learning a new word :happy2:

16. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Exactly what I thought too