Watch out here comes some weather

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Jan 5, 2005.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I just heard from several people that there is a major storm (actually 3) posed to hit the US in the next few days.

You might want to watch the forcast in your area - I am going to fill the gas cans and go to the feed store tonight!

Debbie

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Does the sleet storm we are having today have anything to do with these major storms?

3. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

4. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Well, I think I'm sitting under one of those two converging storms right now...it started snowing early afternoon on Tuesday, and hasn't let up...good thing I like snow! :p

I'm southeastern SD, and I think I have about 10 to 12 inches so far. I can't really complain, because there has not been a whole lot of wind to go with it. Only the chickens seem to be at all bothered by it. :D

April

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I remember standing in line at Walmart a couple of months ago and reading in one of the almanacs that three major winter-weather storms would cross the United States, affecting almost everyone, this January.

Very interesting. Seems like someone is controlling the weather...

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

well, I don't know about you all, but I'm puttin' on my tinfoil hat !!!!!
    ..........and puttin the snow shovel within reach of the door...:haha:
    Maybe a good idea to head for the feed store in the morning........good luck everyone.....take care

7. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

We're supposed to get 10+ inches of snow and a half inch of ice by tomorrow afternoon. I can handle the snow no problem, 10" is nothing. But half inch of ice is awful. I'm sure I'll be without power for a while.

Stacy

8. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

dare I say it is in the 60 and 70 degree range here in GA?? Sunny, partly cloudy and darned hot in mid day...weird weather even for GA.

My flies are coming back to life...yuck - I only wished for one month without bugs and can't even have that...

Sidepasser

9. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

We're supposed to get hit with snow here in Western Washington. Maybe it'll warm up a little. I'm still not used to temps in the 20's, and the peafowl really hate it. Snow sucks though. Mostly because our cities and counties never have enough equipment to keep the roads open. If it happens, this will be the first substantial snow in three years. Just my luck, I have 20 miles of country roads to drive Saturday for my mother's funeral. Life is good.

10. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Christiaan -- Sorry to hear about your mother!

Where in western WA are you? We're over between Poulsbo, Kingston and the Hood Canal Bridge.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

It was 71 today in north MS. Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 41!!! Mother Nature can't decide if it's Winter or Spring.

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I had the day off today. Spent most of the day on our land up on the hill. It was in the high 60's, though overcast. Mosquitos were everywhere. We stopped by the feed store and loaded up on what I can't get from the petstore, just in case.

13. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

West central Indiana: river's almost up to the bridge, rising very fast, and the volunteer fire depts. are busy rescuing folks who either drove into the water (done it myself, in the dark, once) or live by the river where the water is up past the doors of their trailers. :eek: Been raining for 3 days, and the river is out everywhere, lots of the low roads already closed. The water will just keep going up for the next few days, with rivers to crest 10 to 14 feet about flood stage. I just hope it doesn't freeze up tonight, the power will probably go out. So everyone around here hopefully is home and staying there for awhile. Remember to pray for our policemen, sheriff, and fire department workers, they are out there in the rain helping people try to save their homes from the floodwaters.

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I know we'll have H_--- to pay for this beautiful weather (68*-73*) weather we are having right now... but I'll take it! :eek: It is suppose to be 'spring like' for at least another week.. I am feeding my bees... It so warm and they have nothing to eat! :no: ...

15. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing up here ,this morning it was -31C ,but at least there are no mosquitos.

16. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Ok...i'm not sure what that is in F, but Embarass, MN hit -43F this morning...

Winter isn't over with yet...still plenty to go...

17. happycat

happycat Well-Known Member

I'm in central Washington, at the foothills of the Cascades. It was 10F last night, 4F the night before. Supposed to warm up today and snow is forecast for the next 5 days, which is good because we're way behind our snowfall for the season. I'll be filling up the truck this morning.

-43F - I just can't imagine!

18. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

The ice is started here - the trip to Belleview has been cancelled, now at daylight I will decide if I will make the trip to work either. It's going to be nasty - any precipitation is freezing as soon as it hits the ground. More bad stuff on the way too, but might not get mountains of snow out of this one. Just cold and ice.

19. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We've had snow all day today and we're supposed to have ice later. Made hubby take my car as it's better in the snow.

Any of those three storms supposed to hit MASS or New England? Farmers Almanac said we would have a very heavy snow mid January here in new england.

20. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

It's frogging here. It's supposed to be in the upper 50's and then go into the upper 60's for the next week. We could use some sunshine. On January 1, we ate lunch out on the deck. Beautiful way to start the new year.

Laura Lynn