Watch out for these nurseries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, Jan 1, 2007.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

burgess seed
    Direct Gardening
    House of Wesley
    Inter-State Nurseries
    Farmer Seed and Nursery
    Four Seasons Nursery
    Richard Owen Nursery / Exciting Gardens
    Kelly Nurseries
    Royal Dutch
    Honeycreek Nurseries

All of these are the same company of sorts with different catalog. they are all in bloomington IL. they are crap crap crap. before you buy from them, don't believe me, check out the garden watchdog on dave's garden.

you get what you pay for. even if its cheap, doesnt mean it will live.
    randy

Kstornado11 likes this.
  2. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Ive been there and done that Hes right!

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I'll add one the that list. Autumn Ridge Nursery out of Mcminnville Tn. They also sell crap. The "bare root" is a twig, and when you try to get them to fulfill the garuantee they will let you pay for another one at half price and lowered shipping for sure!!! What a Deal! You get to pay for it TWICE.
    I have set over 80 trees and shrubs at my place and for sale. I do know what I'm doing and what they should look like on arrival.

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

ANybody in MO know about Aucklands. I want to buy some Leyland cypress

6. I've gotten to where I don't buy much from a seed catalog anymore. Not sure who which outfits I bought from but it seemed the products have never done that well for me. I now buy from my local farm and feed stores and seem to get much better plants and shrubs.

I have one peach tree that I got from a seed catolog company about 6 or 7 years ago and to this day it has never bloomed and given any peaches. But 3 years ago I bought a 4 ft. high peach tree from my local farm store and this last summer I harvested about a dozen peaches from it.

I've also got some apple trees that are now about 5 or 6 years old and have not grown very much at all and they came from a seed catalog. No apples yet on them but the one apple tree that is producing came from a farm store.

So I'm having better luck with the local farm and feed store products then from catalogs.

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've found that you get what you pay for. there are no bargains to be had.

i buy fruit trees from miller nursery catalog.

http://www.millernurseries.com/ if you plant them according to instructions (that's a real important part) you will have healthy trees that will out live you.

i buy my garden seeds from pinetree gardens, http://www.superseeds.com/

and have been very happy with them for the last 15 years. excellent service and a friendly human answers the phone in person when i call. :)

for everything else, all plants i want from starts i buy at the local co-op and hardware. most of the time they have the varieties that grow well in the area. i did buy the bluberries from a loca grower, but that's becxause he was the only place i ever found that sells the rabbit eye berries that are native to the area.

all the nurseries in ncminville are just that- nurseries. they only grow one year old rootstock for sale to greenhouses. what you are getting at low, low prices is whatever they have left over they couldn't sell. you're getting their culls.

8. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

You are so right I bought from Burgess last year and nothing lived lesson learned that's for sure. Thanks for listing some other one s to be leary of .......

the mama likes this.
  9. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I don't order much any longer; I rely on starts from other gardeners or seeds from a few sources. But I must say that I bought some nice things from Michigan Bulb (I think it was them) 20 years ago. "Blackie", my most coveted fig amongst ficophiles, was a $3 "mystery" special; of course, I ordered 2 and only 1 survived but she's a keeper!

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Totally with you, Randy. Any catalog that comes from Bloomington is immediately recycled. I bought that "Postage Stamp Orchard" one year and learned my lesson.

Also, Michigan Bulb is another to pitch. They sell off leftover junk.

The ones I trust are Jung's (Shumway, Vermont Bean, et al), Fedco, and St. Lawrence Nursery.

Pony!

11. tchan

tchan Well-Known Member

I have had a bunch of trouble with Park's this year(dead plants, three months to receive order, stuff like that). I am disappointed with them. I have ordered from them years ago and never had trouble but this year I gave them 3 chances and all 3 times it was more trouble. This last time I didn't order plants just seeds and a couple of their bio dome seed trays. That has not gone well. Now I get to fight to get my money back because they charged my card and didn't ship my order. I will never order from them again!

12. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

I have goten plant from Four Seasons Nursery before only one lived the rest died. my mom and dad got trees from miller nursery and there doing good,

13. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

You know Arbor day society sells trees. Yes they are small bareroot, but they are guaranteed.
    http://www.arborday.org/
    I got a Golden Raintree that is growing so big I had to give it away. But then the 2 pines died. I get the 10 free trees and give the ones I don't want away. (after the 2 years)
    But then I have tons of room for mini tree nurseries.

15. willow45

willow45 New Member

Here's some that have never failed me: Seeds of Change, High Mowing, and Johnny's Selected Seeds. I grow organic and they are certified organic. Johnny's has great tools and row covers that don't fall apart.

Willow45

Kstornado11 likes this.
  16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Usually that's true. One exception would be Vernon Barnes and Sons nursery. I bought some trees from them year before last and they were great, and cheap. They are still alive (except for the ones that the horses used as butt scratchers). They don't have a website or anything, but I believe you can get their contact information off of www.gardenwatchdog.com . They are definately cheaper than other places to buy fruit trees.

I've gotten my seeds the last 3 years from www.rareseeds.com . I like the varieties and I always have really good germination and extra seeds (except for the african bird peppers, never could get a one to sprout, all the other peppers were fine :shrug: ). I love that they have a lot of melon varieties, because melons are the highlight of my garden. I LOVE them. :)

17. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Thanks for the heads up Randy. I had never heard of House of Wesley, but my elderly neighbor just asked me to order a catalog for her online. I did it on Tuesday. Now I'll have to tell her "buyer beware".

18. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

And here I was ready to put in a big order from Farmers. Didn't know they were owned by someone else. When we lived in the area, we would stop by the store, and the stock was always very nice. Didn't know that what I would order was actually coming from somewhere else.

I want to get decent bare root stock. Aren't a lot of options here in SD, but I know the farmers are getting stuff for their windbreaks from somewhere. Time to call the extension office.

Cathy

19. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, I'll add my story. Me and my mom drove to that place in Illinios. She bought cherry trees that turned out to be cherry bushes (after 3 years of waiting for them to fruit). They were horrible, so she ripped them up and threw them away.
    I bought a bunch of stuff, the orange tree died. the apricot trees died, and when I called about the money back guarantee they said I had to pay to ship the dead trees, and pay for them to ship me new ones. total cost, 4 times buying new ones. lots of their seeds didnt grow either.

they also refused to sell me a certain kind of honeysuckle, because it is illegal in Illinios, but took my money and agreed to ship to me out of state, then 2 months later, I got a letter saying the product did not even exist (there was a photo in the catalog), and a check refund, minus shipping cost for something they never shipped.

Its a bad bad place!

20. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member