watch it- carbon monoxide kills

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

with the cold weather-and people both using supplemental heating and shutting out the drafts, watch for carbon monoxide -the police found some poor guy dead,sleeping in his van with the propane still on.You don't get any second chances, nor warning

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Good Reminder. Also don't use any sort of barbeque, including charcoal, in an enclosed garage, or to keep warm in any enclosed space.
    I worked in hospital and at least 3 occasions while there have seen emergency room victims with terminal or near terminal carbon monoxide poisiing from this. It can be deadly.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Several yrs ago in CO couple of fellows died after wrapping their camper in plastic wrap to stop the drafts. Another no no.

4. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

For the home you can get Carbon Monoxide detectors. They look like smoke alarms and work on a battery. My DH bought one on sale in Walmart for about $30., we put it in the bedroom near the heat duct. We have an oil burner so we were concearned about this. The alarm is ear piercing so it would wake almost anyone up. He felt it was as important as the smoke detectors.

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We heat with gas stoves and have a tankless water heater so we have CO detectors in every room, along with smoke detectors. We also have a propane detector in case of leaks. Better safe than sorry.

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I bought my daughter and son-in-law a CO detector for Christmas. There's no point in taking a chance!!

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I did not know they made these. That is a great idea.

Does anyone know if there is one for Natural Gas? We had a gas leak when we first moved into our place that I kept smelling and the gas co came out two times but couldn't find it. We only use gas for our hotwater and dryer and I don't use the dryer very much.

On the third try I had been using the dryer quite a bit that day because it was very damp. The man still couldn't find it until I made him go behind the dryer and his detector went off. When we first moved in there was a dryer and the hook up turned out to be loose. The landlord fixed it right away,and thanked me profusely for being persistant about it . Since then we have replaced that dryer. All I can say is I thanked God that we didn't blow up. Good thing no one smokes in my home.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Dont know about natural gas,but there are propane detectors that the Rv'ers use.

BooBoo

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Wonder if there is a low O2 sensor you can buy separately from a gas heater. I would like to have one when using wood heat.

Remember that the human nose can be much more sensitive to things like gas leaks than most of the mechanical detectors. Pay attention to your senses. It doesn't help for odorless gases but for nat gas and propane it does.