Wasps/honets?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Apr 18, 2006.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

We have a problem with Wasps/Hornet(I'm not sure which one but they build paper like nests wherever they can)around our hose,we tried a trap,it didn't work.Once I find a nest,I have no problem getting rid of it,I would like to prevent it in the first place,my wife is allergic to their sting.Thankyou.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Neem oil. Camden Grey sells it, www.camdengrey.com

You dilute it with warm water, shake it up, and spray everywhere a nest might possibly get started. If they have already started a nest, the neem will not keep them away.

3. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

4. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

We have this problem with paper wasps every year. I take a spray bottle, fill it 3/4 full of very hot water, add the rest dish detergent, mix and squirt all over the nest. They won't come back to that nest for the rest of the year because of the dish detergent smell. In fact the nest usually falls apart after a treatment. Be careful not to get stung.

5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Right now is the time of year to prevent them from starting.

Right now, the wasps you see are queens. They are starting a nest. They are very shy of you, and easy to kill. Just take a few minutes a couple of times a week and go walk around your buildings looking for the beginings of nests. Usually you will find the queen on top of it looking down at you. Spray and kill. Keep it up, and you will find you have hardly any wasps this year.

6. manfred

manfred Well-Known Member

I thought I had this problem for years. I was talking to an old country-boy about it. He told me he NEVER kills them. He said their main food was spiders. Since then I haven't bothered them and in several years have not been stung, in fact, I've not been stung since I quit trying to kill them.
    Maybe what he told me was all bull. And I'm not allergic.