Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this last night. It's only about 6 feet from my front screen door. Haven't seen any increase in bee traffic and a blackish fat bee is the only visitor I've seen. Kinda freaked me out at first but then the shock wore off and think it's kinda cool. Will wait for the cold weather to settle in and will pop it off.

·
newfieannie
9,653 Posts
yes, do be careful! it looks like a hornets nest to me too. if there's one around I'm bound to get stung. i wait until they settle down around dusk and spray the hole with foam. ~Georgia.

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
That's a Bald Faced Hornets' nest.

http://abestpest.com/baldfaced-hornets-c-21.html

They are the worst of the worst. The only time I ever saw my pest control jump back from a nest was one of Bald Faced Hornets. If you agitate the swarm, they will chase you for a long ways -- much further than ground wasps or others. They bite, in order to gain a purchase on your skin so they can hang on sting you repeatedly. They are meat eaters so the bite sites can easily become infected. And they seek the warmest, most tender parts of your body to sting: Neck, underarms, groin, etc. My pest control fellow said one wasp nailed him eight times when he was doing a nest removal one night. Whatever you do, don't shine a light at the nest if you do the removal. The wasps follow the light and attack whatever is at the end of it.

Unless you are very comfortable with treating such nests, I would have it professionally removed, and the sooner the better.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Wow I would be totally freaked out by this. They are the worst of the worst and then some. Only the females can sting but sting multiple times and believe me theywill keep coming after you.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Hope for cold weather . . . . which slows them way down.
If you want to be a hero then a propane torch on a long pole way after dark.......
Borrow my bee hat and total heavy coverage of ALL skin.

Other wise spend a buck to save your self a bunch of pain.

luck to ya on this one.........

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Yep! These guys are bad dudes! In 1984 we were camping in eagles nest WV and the had a search party going. I ask what was going on and the guy(some kind of state official) told me they had a senior citizen that had not returned and the we searching for him. While I was there they found him dead of "an apparent heart attack. I heard them talking about having to do an autopsy and the guy told me that was the only way they could tell if it was a heart attack. He said 95% of people found out in nature that looks like heart attacks are actually hornet stings. The results are identical to a heart attack.

I don't know how true this is but that's what I was told. Of course that was a while back!

Wade

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
Get professional help. Some things are best left to others.

Reactions: tambo

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct it is a hornets nest. What is extra weird is that I see no activity around it. One hornet only so not sure what is going on. I will figure something out.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I had bee hives once and a bad faced hornet colony would
invade my hives killing bees. So when I located the nest
on the gable tip of the shed I put on my bee suit and helmet
to go up with the ladder and carrying a hornet/wasp spray
bomb I pointed the nozzle into the entrance hole of the
nest and blasted the entire contents of the hornet bomb
spraying a turbulent stream o poison killing every last
hornet in the nest including larvae with satisfying
pleasure and saved my faithful bees!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
We had one in a bush in our yard like that, but bigger. Dad waited til night, squirted lighter fluid all over the outside, lit the tip of a long stick on fire and touched it to the nest Stomped the stick and ran in the house. It seemed to get them all. We watched from the window as they flew out on fire. Looked like lightning bugs. But Idk what i'd do if it was on something I didn't want to burn...

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well to light it on fire this time of year during fire season would not be good. Especially considering I'm the fire prevention person for our fire agency. LOL I think I'm going to put a plastic bag over it tonight while it's cold and then well I'm not sure. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Kim I have a buddy coming by tomorrow so I might see what he says. LOL he's a cop so he should have a thought or two right. LOL So ok I won't sacrifice him.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So ok I got a black garbage mostly over the nest. I say mostly because before I could tie it off on the bottom I kinda saw/heard on flying towards me. It hit a branch and I hit the door BUT it didn't get me. So now the next plan is wait for it to cool down more, it to get cold so maybe it won't fly and I can tie it off more.

But I have to tell you that since I walked on the other side of the birdhouse I saw that the nest is at least four times bigger than my picture. Phew my heart is slowing down now.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah my curiosity is killing me but I'm in the house for now. I have only seen one in two days. I did look in my junk cupboard in back and found some spray that says it's for hornets. I sprayed some up the bag, well I think it went up the bag, it was dark and I think I was hyperventilating... unfortunately I sprayed so much all over the outside it kinda made my knot loose.

So I'm done till early morning at its coolest and will really tie off the bag. Hopefully the black plastic contains it/them and smothers them. I want this nest for my office. LOL

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Lol I think I would have likely had to change my pants. Hope it works. You may get a million ants in the bag. Idk how ants feel about raw or poison marinated hornet, but they love them some cooked bee.

·
newfieannie
9,653 Posts
I wouldn't be foolin around with any garbage bags with those things. they're liable to burst right through that. I had the biggest one I've ever seen in the loft of the barn a few years ago from the floor to the ceiling also one in the greenhouse. got the 2 of them the same way MW explained. haven't seen any around now for a couple years. ~Georgia.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts