Washington earthquake

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by happycat, Oct 7, 2006.

1. happycat

happycat Well-Known Member

Did anyone else in Washington feel the earthquake this evening at a little before 8:00?

I was beginning to wonder if we imagined it! The local radio stations are recorded music at this hour - don't have local news stations on the tv.

We were having a late dinner and our dining table began to rock north-south, for about 10-15 seconds. The stock pot stored on top of the fridge was rattling, and the hanging lamp was swinging. No damage at all.

I found an interesting website where you can report if you felt the quake. It was a magnitude 4.5, at 17 miles N of Packwood.
    http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/pnw/index.html

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

3. wottahuzzee

wottahuzzee Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

5. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info - My son is in California just above San Fransisco and my sister lives in Washington near Seattle .

6. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm... I'm just south of Chehalis and I didn't feel a thing. Usually I'm pretty sensitive to earthquakes too, but according to the map it wasn't felt this far over.

7. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

I am "across the peninsula" from Mt. Rainier in Gig Harbor area. We didn't feel a thing here. We are on a different subduction zone though. When Olympia had their quake we surely felt it here.
    Calls and emails poured into the KIRO newsroom from people feeling the quake in Eatonville, Puyallup, North Bend, and even Moses Lake

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We are in the Vancouver area and we did not feel it down here. Portland news informed us there even was an earthquake.

9. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I live in Lewis County. Last night, I was enjoying a quiet, for once peaceful (the two older boys were out for dinner, and, then later, to the homecoming dance) evening. I had a fire in the woodstove and was kicked back in the recliner reading my newest Countryside Magazine and was quite possibly half asleep. And, I guess it was over before I even noticed anything, so it couldn't have lasted more than a couple of seconds. Kind of a vibration and then my windows shook slightly. My eleven-year-old, who was a few feet away on the computer, turned around and said, "What the........Oh, I guess we just had an earthquake." And, then he went back to his game.

Years ago, when I still lived in Clark County, there was what is known as the "Spring Break Quake." It was centered around the Mt. Angel area in Oregon but we felt it in Battle Ground. I was up early getting breakfast ready for my (then) husband. I looked out the kitchen window and noticed the pigs weren't inside their cement block building but outside in their "yard." That was unusual because they usually didn't stir until I would go out later in the morning to feed them. I remember wondering why and then a few minutes later felt the earthquake. They say animals can sense natural disasters before they happen and I've always wondered if some instinct told them they would be better outside of their house.

And, when I picked my older boys up at midnight from the dance, they said they hadn't felt last night's 'quake. At the time of it, they would've been in Chehalis having dinner.

I work with a number of people that live in the Randall area, so tomorrow I will find out if they felt it more strongly there. They are closer to the Packwood/Mt. Rainier area.

10. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

I was doing laundry at that time. The washing machine shakes the whole mobile home during the spin cycles. I didn't notice the 'quake.

11. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Didn't notice up here on Skagit/ Whatcom border, but it was probably to far away for us to feel it.

12. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Wow, this brought back some old memories. When I lived in Spokane, over 4o some years ago, I was in the hallway of our rent house, and the mirror started to sway on the wall. I was pregnant at the time and thought I was sick. It was an earthquake. Only lasted a few seconds.