washing machine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TC, Oct 11, 2006.

1. TC

TC Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what would cause a washing machine to stop spinning? Mine is about 8 years old, and it won't spin all of a sudden, in any cycle. Do you think it would be better to buy another verus fixing it?

2. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Sounds like a broken belt.

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Broken belt is no big deal . . . it might cost a bit for a service person to come take care of it, all depending on how much the company you call charges. Washers often last 20 years -- the older ones were often of much better quality than the new stuff.

Good luck!

MaryNY

4. weemntfolk

weemntfolk Well-Known Member

That happened to mine and it was the clutch.
    Way too pricey to fix. :-(

5. TC

TC Well-Known Member

Ahhh come on ya'll, tell me there is no way to fix it, so I can show my hubby. Maybe then I will get the brand new front loader washing machine with matching dryer, that's all shiny with all the neat digital gadgets, that I have been wanting! My luck, he'll throw another belt on it and I'll have it another 10 years until it catches the laundry room on fire... :)

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Stupid browser closed on me,to recap,parts can be found cheap on ebay,and if it isnt a fancy machine,they are pretty simple.I did waterpump for about 30 bucks(even cheaper at ebay) with 2 day delivery on parts from an online source.I had never touched a washer before.And I didnt have a repair book,its just simple design if you are an amatuer mechanic,you can figure it out.

Put your model number in google,everything you ever wanted to know about your machine will pop up.

The stop spinning,mine has a switch at the door that cuts the spin cycle if open,could be that switch?

BooBoo