Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me figure this one out? The clothes come out smelling fresh and everything, but there is like a musty smell that seems to livein the washer. It is a new..2 yrs old frontloader. No leaks anywhere and I add some vinigar to most loads too. Any Ideas? Mike :help:

·
Premium Member
20,629 Posts
yeah, mine has that issue too. It's supposed to help to keep the door cracked and to run an empty load with hot water and bleach every now and then. I also spray the gasket with lysol. It's the only downside to the frontloaders that I've experienced. Eau de mildew....blech.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Mine is like that too. I just got it in November, top loading. When you open the lid it has a horrible smell. The clothes are fine thank heavens.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Mine does that if I leave the lid closed.
If I leave the lid fully open when the washer is not in use, I don't have the smell.
I think it just needs better circulation to dry out in there and not get a musty smell.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
Mine does that. I've found running an empty load with hot water and white vinegar seems to help

Brandon

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Mine will get that smell if I close it. So usually after finishing a load, I hang an old towel over the door and latch, that way it doesn't get pushed closed by accident.
Dawn

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
LisaInN.Idaho said:
yeah, mine has that issue too. It's supposed to help to keep the door cracked and to run an empty load with hot water and bleach every now and then. I also spray the gasket with lysol. It's the only downside to the frontloaders that I've experienced. Eau de mildew....blech.
Ditto :)

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
My toploader does the same thing since I moved - never before. I need to pour just a touch of bleach into the drain pipe, then it is cured for weeks.

·
Misty Gonzales
1,027 Posts
cider said:
Mine is like that too. I just got it in November, top loading. When you open the lid it has a horrible smell. The clothes are fine thank heavens.
Mine had that horrible smell too and I had to take the fabric softner thingy off and clean it and it goes away for awhile. Stuff gets in there and starts to smell I gues. It is better for awhile and I have to redo it again a while later.
(mine sits on top of the agitator)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Check the front gasket. I have found socks can get stuck in there (especially Grandson size little socks) It will smell! I have a habit now after washing is done for the day to take a rag and wipe the gasket dry and leave the door ajar during the night takes care of.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
We just keep the lid open on our toploader. EZ, cheap and it works. :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts