washing foam filled pillows?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primal1, Aug 1, 2006.

1. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you throw them in the washing machine and how do you wash feather pillows?

Is hanging them on a line to dry ok?

2. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

I think foam rubber pillows will fall apart if you try to wash them. I have never washed. I just throw away when they look badly and get new ones.

As for feather pillows--Yes, you can wash the pillows, but be very "sure" that the pillow ticking is stitched tightly or you will have a tub full of feathers.

Also, if you put them in an automatic washer use a gentle cycle so that it does not rip the ticking. I hope this helps.

3. primal1

Sure does help:), just threw the feather ones in the washer on gentle, they are in good shape but did need a wash. I only have 2 feather pillows but 6 foam, i may try 2 of them in the washer just to see how they hold up.
    Between me and the dogs i'd be buying pillow twice a year lol

4. primal1

oh forgot to ask, can the feather ones go in the dryer? :shrug:

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Yup--put the temp. on medium and throw two or three tennis balls in there to break up the clumps. Otherwise, you'll have a mighty lumpy (and probably still-wet) pillow. Be prepared--it takes a looooooong time to dry those puppies.

6. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, do not wash a memory foam pillow. It swells up to twice it's usual size, and after two - three weeks of it sitting on a frame out on the back porch to dry, it still hadn't. In addition, it had very colorful mold colonies on it and still weighed a ton. I threw it out. Next time, if there IS a next time, I'll just throw it away to begin with!

7. primal1

my roommates and I just had a good laugh about that one hehe.. thanks for the warning!

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Don't wash them in a machine. Fill up a tub outside and soak them in some Clorox water, hang them to drip and dry, that's how I do mine.