washing before milking

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Peak, May 12, 2004.

1. Peak

Peak Active Member

I am new to miling my doe, and want to take good care of her. Right now I do not have an appropriatte pail to milk into, so the milk is going to our very happy dog. I am concidering keeping the milk, and after reading this site, not pasturizing it. So , now I am washing her before, and my hands, but I am not doing anything afterwards. I have read about teet dips, any suggestions/recommendations?? Also, I am just using soap to wash with before, again looking for any suggestions/recommendations. I am new to this site, although very excited. After reading many postings, I joined. Any advice is greatly appreciatted!!!
    Regina Peak
    Mo

2. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Hi, Regina, and welcome! I wash teats before milking with soapy water that has a little bit of bleach. Then I dry the teats. After milkiing, I like the liquid teat dips that I've seen various places -- Dr. Nader's teat defense, i think, and nolvosan is another one. Usually order mine from valley vet. Some people just use a bleach solution again, but I want something to cause the orofice to contract as quickly as possible, just doesn't seem like bleach water is the right answer.

3. JanH

JanH Well-Known Member

Washing is good....good habits are smart to get in to! :) Yes dipping the teats afterwards is good. There's several good teat dips available...I would *not* use bleach although many do. When I used it I had udder problems...bleach can be harsh. There's several commercial teat dips available...for just a couple goats a can of Fight Bac works as well as anything...just a quick squirt on each teat. What you're doing is "sealing" the orofice which has been open during milking. When done with a good teat dip it lessens the chance of bacteria getting in there...bacteria can cause mastitis which you *don't* want to have to deal with ! :haha: Keep up the good habits...you'll be rewarded with a healthy goat and a plentiful supply of clean milk!

4. txsrose

txsrose Member

I use a mild detergent with iodine. I would not use bleach just because it can do to our skin, and the goats, just what it does to the bacteria, which is dissolve the bi-lipid layer of our cells. But enough of that chemistry stuff. It is harsh on skin of any kind. I also use Fight Bac and I swear by it. It is quick, convenient and there is no cross contamination as can be with teat dip and cups. Just remember that good hand, udder, and pail washing can go a long way.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate to think of you pouring out milk for lack of a bucket. I ordered a milk bucket when I first got goats, and have never used it, because by the time it came I was accustomed to milking into jars. I still use glass jars. A nice gallon pickle jar or sun-tea jar will do you nicely, or two or three quart canning jars.

I just wash with water since my skin is somewhat sensitive, and have never gotten into the habit of teat dipping. In five years, we have had very little trouble with mastitis. I do, however, pasteurize.
    mary

6. Peak

Peak Active Member

Thank you to you and to all who have replied to my post, I feel personel experience goes way farther than some text books. I was thinking of Figh Bac, and now I am sure this will be how I go. Thank you from another Missourian.
    Regina

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I'm using a commercial brand of teat dip/udder wash that comes in a concentrated gallon for about $6. Dilution is 1 oz. to 3 gal. of water so I expect to get a lot of value from this! You must have some dairy farmers around- check at feed or livestock supply stores.
    I about passed out when I saw the price of goat dairy pails in the catalogues- I bought an 8 quart stainless steel lidded stock pot from Wal Mart for another $6.
    Mary TX, Wow, I'm really impressed that you can milk into a quart jar! I am still hitting the wall/my leg/the goat about 2x a day.

8. Peak

Peak Active Member

I totally agree on the price of pails! I was thinking that this was going to have to be a large investment, love your stockpot idea, that I can do!!!!
    THank you, and I tried the jar thing, will be getting a stockpot.

9. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I was using a stockpot when I milking the goats in the laundry room off of the kitchen, but now I have to milk in the barn and the flies became a problem so I broke down and bought the milking pail with the half moon lid and a milk tote (my goats are boarded right now and I have to transport the milk in the car). I love the milking bucket. It's solid and heavy, the top keeps flies and goat's feet out and the flat bottom makes is hard to spill. It is a lot of money, but I was worth it.

10. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I don't technically *wash* the udders or teats, but I do use unscented, hypo-alergenic, alcohol free babywipes with aloe. :) I have discovered that, not only do these do a great job of washing without chapping or otherwise compromising the tender udder skin, they also close up the orifice afterwards - I leave them out in the milk room (unheated) and they are cooler than the does' teats...just like when people wash their faces and rinse in cold water to close up the pores and prevent dirt form getting in, the cold of the baby wipes closes up the teat orifice, too.

I've not been milkin gfor nearly long enough to tell you that it's 100% effective against mastitis - not sure that anything really is. But I know others who do the same thing and have had no problems for 5 + years. I do not pasteurize the milk.

I bought a milk bucket form Hoeger's. I love it! But I now need a tote...and dairy scale...and cream separator... *sigh* And the expense list goes on...

Sarah

11. Peak

Peak Active Member

I have seen all of these items as I have shopped around and tried to educate myself on the subject. Im an avid Ebay shopper, adn will check out that venue also. Looks like I will be selling the girl Im milking, but I have two other pregnant does to take her place, and a mother feeding twins that I could always milk afterwards, but shes not solid Nubian, and her teets arent as large and user friendly as my American does. Again, many many thanks to all the different suggestions. I am now looking to supply my family with raw milk, and make soap, I have a lot of new and exciting experiences ahead.