Washer worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Mar 7, 2005.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

My washer just gave out! Everything works but the spin cycle. Gets to there and stops and the water won't drain. Tried all of the cycles. I think this washer is at least 12 years old - it was here when I bought the place a year and a half ago.

What do you think? Worth fixing? What could be wrong with it?

Thanks!

Debbie

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Do you have a manual for it...or could you tell us the brand and find it online to troubleshoot? You might be able to DIY diagnose and then decide. Maybe yours has a belt so that the motor runs but it doesn't spin. I think it is worth checking into yourself first.

3. UncleTom

UncleTom Well-Known Member

What brand is it?

4. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

If it's a Kenmore or Whirlpool it's worth fixing. If it's a Maytag, chuck it and get a Kenmore or Whirlpool (same thing).
    So if I understand correctly...
    Washer fills for wash cycle then drains.
    Washer fills for rinse cycle then drains.
    Or it's not draining at all? If that's the case it's either a solenoid or more likely the pump. If it's the pump and it's a Kenmore or Whirlpool it will be around $25 plus an hour or so to swap it out. If there's a Sears Service Center nearby there's usually at least one replacement pump hanging on the wall.
    Check the internet for info on repairing washers and check searsparts.com for parts to do the job.

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to disagree with TheBlueOne but I wouldn't chuck a Maytag. My set is 20 years old and still going strong. DH has been able to diagnose and repair problems over the years using information he found on the internet. Good luck!

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Chances are it is the centrifical clutch that is worn out. This part sits on top of the electric motor and has a pulley (and belt) attached to it. Generally, if the clutch is worn you will hear the motor rev up for the spin cycle and a bunch of "clanking" sounds, but the tub will not spin.

If the motor does not rev up for the spin cycle, then chances are, the problem is in the selector dial (assuming you have a mechancal selector knob).

7. deberosa

Didn't think to list the brand. ;-)

It's a Frigidaire. It had been making some bits of noises the past couple of months, but this time quit.

It stops at the end of the wash cycle, trying to drain - won't drain. It doesn't make a noise at all at this point, just stops. Oh joy washer full of dripping clothes! Got the clothes out but probably need to bail the water.

I checked the DIY sites - the best I can determine is the pump is gone. The agitator works fine in the wash cycle on all of the different cycles. However it does have a manual dial - could they break only at one part of every cycle?

I also checked the little switch in the lid - saw that on one of the sites - made sure it was pressed down but didn't help either...

Washer is at least 12 years old - I don't have a manual because I got it with the house.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Debbie

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My washer did the exact same thing back in the summer. It was a 15-year-old Admiral. My FIL came, took it apart and announced it was a goner. He said it would cost more to fix it than it was worth so we had to go buy a new one.

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Obviously the pump isn't working. I offer no guarantees, but it MAY simply be the belt driving the pump that is gone. That happened frequently on one of mine. It was just a matter of turning it upside down, slacking off a couple of bolts, replacing the belt, re-tightening the bolts, and turning the washer rightside up again. In your case, you may only need to do this every dozen years or so.

10. cjsmith

cjsmith Member

Or it could be that your washer drains before it spins and if there is a sock or something in the drain the spins cycle won't start. Check for a clog. Don't toss a 12 yr old washer before being sure it isn't something simple.

11. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I'd look for something simple like a sock stuck in the drain. If you lay the drain hose down so the water will run into a bucket, you can check for a clogged drain. My experience is that older machines than that are worth fixing. If you can get water out that way, check the pump.

12. deberosa

I will check the drain. Also have been talking to co-workers who bought one of the new front loading machines - they are quiet, take far less water, less soap and spin dry far better so less drying. Maybe that is a better choice overall - to save on the septic and energy costs and make my dryer last longer?

They even said they get the clothes cleaner with less wear. ;-)