Washer Leaking

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Nomad, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

The wife just called and said when she turned on the washer to fill, water came out the bottom. Does anyone have a clue what the most likely problem is? I'd rather know what I may be up against before I try to tackle a repair job. It is from Sears. I think a Kenmore. I believe we got it in 1991. Please don't tell me it is shot. The wife will have to go down to the creek and beat the clothes on a rock if it is. :no:

Nomad

2. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

washing machines are not all that complicated. I'd suggest propping it up with something sturdy and looking under there with a flashlight. It is possibly a hose came loose or cracked or got chewed on. Turn the machine on, if necessary and see where the water comes out.
    Has anyone worked on it or moved it recently? Is it possible that the discharge hose is no longer sitting in the drain pipe in the wall or that the drain pipe has frozen?
    again, turn on the machine and see where the water comes form and go form there.
    If it's dead...I've found that a scrub board gets clothes way cleaner than any washing machine I have ever used. I'm not kidding at all. The amount of time it takes to wash the clothes isn't that much longer than the machine takes either, but you do, of course, have to be present the whole time.

3. Nomad

Cancel the order. I should know better than to not check things before I post. I got home from work and the wife says the drain hose was laying on the floor instead of hooked over the wash tub. Mystery solved. At least it didn't cost me anything.

Nomad

4. Nomad

I just had to reply to the washboard post. I lived in Spain for a couple of years with my first family, and my previous wife used a washboard the whole time. I don't have much good to say about the woman (she feels the same about me) but I give her credit for roughing it while we were there.

Nomad

5. mink

mink Well-Known Member

mention a washboard to a lady today and somebodies gonna end up shot

6. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Not me...I'd like one of those nice glass ones!

We had a washer that leaked, I bought it at a church garage sale for, I think it might have been twenty-five dollars, and the note on it said it leaked. I put it in the backyard, ran an extension cord and a garden hose to it and used it for about five years...it kept the grass nice and green in that area...

Before I lucked up on the leaky machine we were alternately taking clothes to a laundrymat or washing them by hand...one time I got all my kids and one or two neighbor kids and we put the clothes in a wading pool with detergent and stomped 'em clean...felt good in the 90 degree heat!

Nomad, you just gotta look for an older woman who's been to the school of hard knocks...they won't shoot the washboard salesman. :haha:

7. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you this but them ain't ladies. May be your old lady but bout as far as one can pump that. :haha:

If you really want to buy a washboard still can get such an item.

http://www.sces.k12.tn.us/store.html

I don't cotton to the idea, like the large GE scrub-a-dub mixer in the laundry room but each to one's own. Defining ladies is far, far more difficult today. Ask any young girl if she wants to be a lady and guage the answer. Of course, far too many of those want to be boys, and far too many boys want to be girls. H,mmm in the dazes of washboards maybe it made far more sense. :rolleyes: