Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our washer just bit the dust. There was a brand that I had never heard of mentioned here which I can't find in a forum search. Thought it began with an "H"... could be wrong, available on line.

Any ideas?

TIA

jim

·
Registered
208 Posts
Haier?

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Buy a Whirlpool. They're dependable and reasonably priced.

RF

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I recently bought my first ever matching washer and dryer. Went to the store intending to buy an LG (korean) duo. I was after the front loading, water saving model. Found out the LG had the MOST calls for repairs. Ended up with the Whirlpool Duet. Love them.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Rocky Fields said:
Hey.

Buy a Whirlpool. They're dependable and reasonably priced.

RF

I have to respectfully disagree I bought a nice matching pair and the washer was a lemon. Ive lost count of how many service calls it has taken just to keep it running.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was in the laundromat business until I retired 3 years ago; for top loaders the Maytags were BY FAR the most trouble free! I have a Neptune (maytag) front loader now (actually a commercial trade in I got used from my old commercial dealer) & so far it works great! Maytag tends to go for simplicity in design so there's less to go wrong.

I'd highly recommend Maytag

Lew near Waco, TX

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe one of the more effecient washers discussed on this site was the Staber. But the cost and the fact that you pay for shipping from somewhere back east (maybe Ohio) really jettisons the cost. I bought a Whirlpool, but nothing especially efficient about it since its a top loader. I didn't like the idea of bending down to load a front loader all the time. My wash room is very narrow.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Our Maytag Neptune was horrid!!! The seal would mold and smell. I had to use bleach in a load every week to keep the smell down. It was a know issue and they would not fix it. The amana we had before that was also horrid. It was lemoned out. I am not hard on washers but They turn up their feet here.

I don't know what brand would be best. I am wondering if the commercial speed queens would last any better?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Speed Queens in laundromats around here gave lots more trouble than Maytags according to the laundromat owners; they tried them since they were bout 200 bux less each (referring to top loaders).

Lew

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I used to repair washers for a living.

I like Maytag. Fewest moving parts and fewest parts overall. 2 years ago, I replaced a Maytag for someone with a new one. The old one was a 1968 model.

Next choice would be Whirlpool/Kenmore.

Worst brand is GE/Hotpoint. Loaded with wiring, lots of switches, not too hot. I don't like how they mount the tranny, ether. Leak-prone.

Speed Queen is another complicated brand. I used to service Ropers for Heilig-Meyer Furniture when it was in biz. Not impressed with those. They do goofy things to get the water out, for one thing.

Now, all that said, let me tell you that washers and dryers are not what they used to be even 5 years ago. But Maytag is still my favorite brand, and we have a set in my own laundry room. Very quiet operation. There are, I understand, European brands that are even better, but they are priced for the rich set and not regular folks.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
DWIGHT DUNCAN said:
I didn't like the idea of bending down to load a front loader all the time. My wash room is very narrow.
My wash room is also very narrow, and small. Really too small for my new washer and dryer. I do not bend over, just squat, use those leg muscles. My new Whirlpool will wash in 14 gallons of water what my old GE washer washed in 80 gallons. :happy: We have our own water supply, a spring development, and with the current drought conditions, it is not putting out enough water to support that old top loader.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We have been using an entry level GE set for the past 7 years without any problems. However, at my place of work, we have a Neptune front loader that is about 2 years old. Had to have the repair service out several times and we have repaired it in house several times. The door is actually falling down out of alignment, and the door switch/safety is only made of plastic and has broken several times -- part alone is almost $100.00. I would buy a top loader if I was buying another.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Another vote for Maytag.

·
Stableboy III
426 Posts
You could ditch the dryer as well and go with an all-in one. Not the stacked w/d, but the single unit. Put the clothes in, turn it on, comeback later and everything is washed and dried - no forgetting to put them in the dryer. They are very efficient, use a lot less water and get the clothes much cleaner than any other washer I've had - Maytag, GE, Hotpoint, whatever. Ours has a timer so you can put clothes in at dinnertime, set it to start in the middle of the night and wake up to warm, dry pants. Same size as our washer was, so we gain a lot of space by only having one appliance.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi,

As has been mentioned, front loaders use a lot less water, and are also easier on clothes.

If you use hot or warm water wash or rinse, then front loaders also save a lot of energy. A hot water wash on a top loading machine uses about 8 KWH per load (80 cents worth around here). 90% of the energy cost for washing clothes is heating the water. Front loaders usually also have faster spins to get more water out, and this saves some more on dryer energy.

www.EnergyStar.gov has energy ratings on washers.

Gary

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
DWIGHT DUNCAN said:
I believe one of the more effecient washers discussed on this site was the Staber.
That will be the top brand I'll look at when my washer gives up, unless I get a wringer washing machine.

I understand they were designed for the consumer to make repairs on.

I like the idea that they use so little water and soap, and spin almost all of the water away.

Should be plenty of information on the forum if a search will yield results with "Staber".

http://www.staber.com/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts