wasabi

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bill not in oh, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Anyone ever raise wasabi?
    How did you grow it?
    Were you able to sell it?

2. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

I am also interested in raising wasabi. I researched it a lot after I read an article on it earlier this year. The bid drawback for me was the length of time it took before being marketable. It was 18 to 24 months. I will definitely give it a go after we get settled in in a couple of years.

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I'd love to try real wasabi. Most "wasabi" here in the U.S. is horseradish with green food coloring. I read recently that there's only one commercial wasabi farm in the U.S. I think it was in Oregon.

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

With most exotic veggies and fruit, you have to weigh in time and effort to the decision to grow it.

With teh commercial availability of wasabi in ethnic markets, it's probably much less time, effort, hassel, and money if you purchase it over growing it. I do know that seeds are sold in several markes, though.

5. wasabi

wasabi New Member

true wasabi (wasabia japonica) is indeed tricky to grow and the reality is the market is still in its infancy here in the U.S. Wasabi is our primary crop on our mountain farm in western N.C. (which means it has cost us dearly in terms of time, materials, money and effort with only nominal returns thusfar)...but hope springs eternal, neh?

Next spring we will begin offering wasabi plantlets, which are notoriously hard to come by, to those who want to give it a go. (send an email to doug@realwasabi.com if you want to be on the list)

Wasabi seeds, BTW, are very tough to find and even tougher to grow...they require both stratification and protection from dessication.