Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel sorry for this guys family.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

***A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.....*****

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as I read it thought about that people that complain because they have a reltive that must work such and such holiday. I hope this changes their outlook to be thankfull that the relative will come home in o.k condition. Exhausted but o.k.
Of course the other side of the coin is that if stores or corps. weren't pushing everybody into a frenzy then this wouldn't even have to be in the paper.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I could see that,my dil said today there were people who had been in line since 3am. She said they pushed her and almost bowled her over,(while holding a baby). Also said people would literally clear a shelf into their cart. I am all for a bargain, but when you trample another person for a sale....rediculous.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I have heard of our local WM offering tv, computers for 50$ w/ only a small number of items offered... It's on a first come, first served and the 'sale' starts at 4am! People will line up to charge into the electronic dept... knocking over anything (and I guess anyone) in their way.. I think it's the stores that caused this murder and should be held accountable.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I think the whole 'black Friday' thing is just awful.
Retailers and advertisers and the bottom line promote this type of frenzied behavior.
I wouldn't go to the store this weekend if you paid me. I barely leave the house if I can help it.
Plus.. Wal-Mart shot themselves in the foot on this one because they had to close that store for the day..maybe longer.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I've heard of people being trampled to death while going to religious shrines in the Middle East & India. Now we know what the religion of the US is - the almighty sale!

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I've heard of people being trampled to death while going to religious shrines in the Middle East & India. Now we know what the religion of the US is - the almighty sale!
Wow, you are right, but it's so, so sick.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
I went ONCE years ago to an early friday morning sale. I was appalled at folks behavior. I am normally very polite, and giving... but this thing was just too crazy! Greedy greedy greedy folks out there.
I will do without or pay another price.
I sure hope wally world does this guy's family right,,, but doubt they will

and they should all be charged with murder or something for killing the guy!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
This is terrible but I wouldn't go so far as to blame the stores. People are responsible for their actions. There is no excuse for people who literally trample over others to save a few bucks or win some sick "bargain" competition. What kind of society are we living in? What kind of people wait in line all night, race through the doors while pushing, shoving, knocking over and trampling on their neighbor just to buy something? What in that store was so important for someone to have that it was worth a man's ilfe? :(

If people will act this way for a sale on items that aren't even necessary for their survival what will they do if we fall into a depression?

·
How What Where Unknown
549 Posts
It is all fun and games until someone loses and eye, then it becomes a national sport franchise...
He died in the battle to support the culture of greed and ignorance. 10 to one Walart had an insurance policy on him that they benefit on.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Unthinkable - this poor man was just out there trying to earn a living and doing his job. So, so sad, and in the name of greed.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081129/D94OJ4NG0.html

Here's a small update. It seems they are looking for who trampled the guy. Let's hope walmart and others gets smart next year and decides to hire police for crowd control. Of course if folks weren't worked into a "stupid frenzy" there'd be no need

****NEW YORK (AP) - Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify who trampled to death a Wal-Mart worker after a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Criminal charges were possible, but identifying individual shoppers in Friday's video may prove difficult, said Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.....*****

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You know I remember as a child the Friday before Easter was called Black Friday due to the death of Christ on the Cross. It seems incredible that they call the day after TDay this and stranger still that all this havoc comes from a twisted ritual that stems from the birth date of Christ. I have been getting more disgusted with people's behavior over the years but the constant replay eveyr year of people geting injured on Black Friday just goes to show that Hell's Kitchen has arrived and we are descending into a very deep hole...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts