Was glad, now sad

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jun 25, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Hello again from Southwest Montana. I was sooo excited a couple of days ago when my DH called to say his wonderful mom was willing to donate 5000.00 to our well fund! I immediately called NWAS to come and do a electro-seismic sounding on my property to tell me where the water was to be found. Remember this is high mountain property. I scraped up the 1500.00 for the survey and they came this morning and spend all day here with me. Dean (the seismic man) says that they wont know for sure until the analyze the data from the 6 250.00 soundings but his best guess is that my water is to be found at about 275-500 feet! Well just run the numbers; at 26.00 per foot this is 7200 to 13000 dollars! I don't even want to tell my husband this...I just feel so defeated and hopeless about this. And I was the one who wanted to come to the moutains of montana to build a fruit farm. I know I am whining a bit, and I apologize but I am very afraid and discouraged and my husband is back east with his mom so I had no one else to talk too. Thanks for listening, KC

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

How many bids have you had? I was quoted 10$/ft less than 5 yr ago in NW Colorado. Outfit out of vernal utah. Maybe there is a good outfit around that would do it cheaper.

3. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a lot of money! It's $10 a foot here, too. In fact for a little more than $10 a foot we're getting the holding tank, installation to our house plumbing, and water line ran from the well.

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

$26 sounds high even if you are gonna have an 8 inch drilled with metal casing....

there are quite a few drillers who travel around, many of them are in Wyoming or have been drilling gas holes this past year for huge dollars [$70 per foot] with their water rigs cause they did not have to go much over 150 eet in most places.... but you should be able to find a reasonable outfit with good reputation somewhere for less money.....

On a sadder note one of the local well drillers rolled his drillrig last week on the highway and was killed... his tire blew out and the rig went over a bankment..... so even driving a drillrig is dangerous, not just working around one.

William

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, but don't forget folks the well guy may be talking about having to drill through solid granite all the way and then maybe having to blast the trenches for the buried lines to the house and in my area the pipes have to be 5-6 feet down as the frost/freeze level is 4 feet. Mine was $12.00 per foot through partial shale and rotten granite 14 years ago to 275 feet depth plus the cost of the pump and pressure tank and lines to the house.

6. sisterpine

HI Folks: The seismic man was telling me about a property not too far (50 miles) from here where the well driller just suggested he call the seismic man as the property owner is currently at 1300 feet with not a drop and he is on a lake shore! Figure that one at 25 per foot. I have called and spoken to every well driller in wesstern montana and the price seems to be the same all over. Some will drop it to 23 per foot after the first hundred feet. Then you must add the 8 foot trench to the house the pump, pressure tank etc. I know there are many many folks who live without a well and get by just fine (i just figure they are younger and dont have animals) and of course many many folks who are much worse off than I am. I was just overly hopefull i guess so am overly dissapointed perhaps. Thanks for all the listening you did. And boy do I wish wells in montana were 10 bucks a foot! Must be high because we are in the 7th year of major drought. Thanks again! PS we are also solid granite and will have to blast some to trench to the house. I think they called it bedrock?

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Don't give up sister p, there are Alot of Holy drillers round these parts and ALWAYS get a second opinion. There are drilling rigs that can drill shallow OIL wells up to 3 or 4 thousand feet that can just as well drill your well for LESS money . Make that seismic guy provide you with a COMPLETE set of LOGS for your own records. After all , he is working for YOU , and you should always keep those logs as IF they shown favorable subsurface structure for the possible existence of Water, they will enhance the value of your property ....EVEN IF .....you don't drill a well.......and you decide to SELL your property..............fordy.... :eek: :)

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Is there any way you can collect more run off? I knew a man who grew fruit trees in the colorado desert with just run off. We had less that 10 inches in good years and those weren't good years. Not sure what your ave rainfall is. drought won't last forever.

BTW, what kind of fruit trees were you planning on growing in SW Montana?

9. bare

bare Head Muderator

Hate to say it, but I was BORN in Monatana and learned my lesson early on. 275-300 feet is COMMON in Eastern Montana! Many would be tickled pink to find usable water at that depth. Here in N. Idaho, the price is 28 dollars a foot for an 8" cased well.

I've bought a fair number of properties since my first lesson and have since drilled a well on the property, BEFORE ever signing on the dotted line. Every purchase, since my initial education has been contingent on my successful well.

I know first hand the problems and expense of driving 100 miles round trip to fetch 500 gallons of water for the critters, garden and ourselves and I ain't gonna do it again!

I'm a fool too, I always hire a water witch prior to drilling. The last one, like most of the prior ones, assured me of 5-6 gallons a minute at 27 feet. Imagine my surprise when the driller hit the first 100', then the next 100', then found enough water to test blow, before drilling another 100'.

I've lost a lot of money on a lot of things in the past including the stock market, but I have never seen money disappear as fast as watching those drill sections go down.

10. sisterpine

you are right about the logs fordy, the northwest aquafer survey man tells me i will get a full set of the logs and the testing results for each test when my report comes in about two weeks. i am trying really hard not to give up, and would love to call my husband and have a good cry at the same time but i dont want to ruin his trip to visit with his mom...so i think i will just pray alot etc till he gets home... thanks for the encouraging words, i sincerely appreciate them from all of you. KC

11. sisterpine

bare: i suspect then that you know kind of how i am feeling. i know we should have drilled the well 12 years ago when we bought the property, but decided at that time that the spring would provide enough water even though it is 1/4 mile from the house. And it has done well up until about three years into this major drought so i think i am thankful for that. thanks for the input. KC