Warts on face?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by txsrose, May 13, 2004.

1. txsrose

txsrose Member

In addition to Nubs, we also raise Boar goats. Here is my dilemma. We had a buck that developed warts or something that looked like them on nose. Several of them. We sold him but now two of our babies have developed one or two around their noses and mouth. They aren't having any other symptoms but I am concerned now about spreading these to others. Does anyone have any idea what this might be and how to treat?

2. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Soremouth? There is a certain incubation period when it is contagious. Have you had any goats brought in recently?

3. nuby

nuby Active Member

Sounds like sore mouth. Looks like herpes? It's contagious and I hear people can get it in the form of something else, I forget the name.

4. txsrose

txsrose Member

Thanks. I will research this further.

5. txsrose

txsrose Member

I did a search for soremouth and found some info that states that soremouth is similar to herpes simplex. This is not like that. They aren't lesions. It is warts of some kind but can't figure it out. Info says it may be papillomatosis which is also caused by a virus. But it gives conflicting treatments. One source says to leave it and they will fall off. One source says to "cut" them off but with considerable bleeding (not my first option). I'm befuddled!