Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if the younger generation wasn't already tied to their I Phone - along comes "Yik Yak".

Yik Yak is an app that is downloaded on your smart phone. Once downloaded, you can "Yak" with other users within a 1 1/2 mile area of your phone. The posts are to be anonymous - "What could be wrong with that?"

How it works is you post a subject line like "Coolest girl in 10th grade" and then other users can yak on who they think is the coolest 10th grade girl.

Well, the problem is the kids talk about anything - and much of it is dirty, filthy, sex filled language. And since it's all posted anonymously, this can lead to more cyber bullying. (Forget about the "coolest" 10th grader - they are talking about the "Biggest 10th grade Whore". - and of course names are used - whether there is any truth to it or not.)

I've already heard some parents who have asked their kids if they have down loaded "Yik Yak". The parents got answers such as "What is that?" or "No." but yet when the parents check their phones, the app is loaded and they have been participated.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Exactly!
All of our computers are in one room of the house.
DS can't just wander into his room and be alone with his computer.
No smart phones or whatever either.

It is a vital part of responsible parenting..

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
our kids don't have phones. I wish I could figure out how to get rid of mine..lol. occasionally I feel a little awkward for them when i know they have to ask someone else to text me if they need a ride after practice or something.

but, then i read things like your yik yak thread, and i remember, my kids would have way more awkward moments if they had phones of their own. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Sometimes it's nice not to have cell reception. :D My kids don't have phones. I don't feel they need one until they are driving. They do get online & use instagram to chat with friends on occasion, but that's done here in the living room where we all are.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Thank you for this. I asked my kids and they hadn't heard of it. But they won't be getting it. My daughter is young but pretty tuned into what's going on..she has a friend who is currently being bullied on some app called 'kik' I think it is. That kind of drama seems to be more girl than boy, at least around here.

My kids have phones with the caveat that I know the password and can ask to check it at any time, and I do. They're busy enough that they don't get a ton of time to use it though.

Here's the link to the website http://www.yikyakapp.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts