Warning about Alfalfa Pellets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Whew...I just had a scary moment! After much reading on the baord and internet, I decided to slowly add alfalfa pellets to my goats diet. All was going well until this morning.....

We have a doeling that is 2 months old and I guess she started to eat too fast and started choking on some of the alfalfa pellets. She was foaming at the mouth and waving her head around. She managed to get a couple of bleets out, which I figured was good, so I picked her up and did a sort of hymelic (sp?) twirling thing with her. (my son choked on food once too as a baby) She managed to get it out because I was there to help, thank god!

Sof my warning is that alfalfa pellets may be ok for the big guys....but not for the little ones. (I may have missed that part in my reading) Anyone want a 3/4 full bag of alfalfa pellets real cheap??? I think I'll scrap the whole alfalfa pellets idea.

One thought...if she asperated any of it, what signs should I look for and is there anything I can do to ward off potential problems? She went back to eating and seems fine now...I hope!

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

It probably wasn't because it was alfalfa pellets. If she was eating too fast it could have happened with any feed. I feed alfalfa pellets because in Texas alfalfa hay is too expensive and the goats waste too much hay for me to pay $9.00 a bale and half of it wind up on the ground. Hope your little one got over her scarey moment and you too. Our son got choked one time and I had to turn him upside down quickly and give him a big slap on the back to dislodge a piece of ice.

3. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I have heard recommendation to soak alfalfa cubes, what about soaking pellets, I dunno, would it hurt anything ??

4. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

One more thing about the pellets...my doe foundered (laminitis) on them 2 days after she kidded. I gradually switched them over when she was pregnant & she was fine while then, but I guess they were too rich for her after she kidded. (thanks to the info I received on here I got the vet on the right track!!) :)

The vet is 99% sure that is what her problem was, because she doesn't get that much grain. A handful of alfalfa pellets as a treat, but that's all she's allowed :rolleyes:

Also twice in the past 2 weeks, she choked on her grain!! One time was the day before she delivered, all I could think of was, great how do you give a pregnant goat the hymlic? :confused: Foam & spit & goat vomit everywhere. She finally got a screaming bleat out. Head was bouncing off of the walls. Very scary! She did it again today, I finally decided to put her grain on the ground, takes her longer to eat, less chance of choking down her food!

tricia

5. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You might think twice about putting her grain on the ground. She will be more prone to worms by eating it off the ground. You could put it in a feeder & add a few bigger rocks so she would have to pick around the rocks for her grain.

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I get my feed mixed at the coop, usually 2 tons at a time. I feed it to everyone; chickens, rabbits, goats and pigs (my dogs love it too:haha: ). I have them run it through a grinder, very coarse, just to break everything up. It includes corn, oats, alfalfa pellets, soybean meal, molasses and vitamins.

This last time they forgot to grind the pellets so now my chickens will not touch them but I didn't think about choking the goats! I was adding milk and stuff to the chickens pellets so they will eat them. So don't throw the bag away, just soak them.

7. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

I have feed alfalfa pellets to my does free choice along with their alfalfa hay for the last 2 yrs and haven't had any problems. :)
    uncleotis

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

for my babies, I break the pellets up.

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have always used alfalfa pellets (that Texas thing) and have never had a problem. I do have one goat that chokes several times a week when she eats because she gobbles too fast. It is her own fault, not the fault of the feed. She does the same with anything i feed her, she wants to eat up everything before the other goat she lives with can get her feed. It can be grain or pellets. It is not a congenital defect. She is fat and healthy, a Boer, she is just fast and greedy. The alfalfa pellets are not the culprit in my case. I would be lost without pellets as I don't wan't to pay $8.50 a bale for faded green sticks called alfalfa hay here in Texas.