Warning: 102 Quarantined Pigs Missing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Oct 6, 2006.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

From my local paper

Warning: 102 Quarantined Pigs Missing

Oct 6, 2006 09:21 AM CDT

New Media Producer: Kerry Corum

Maryland agriculture officials have warned Indiana, Kentucky and nine other states about more than 100 pigs that disappeared from a farm under quarantine.

Maryland officials believe the pigs may be infected with trichinosis, a harmful parasite.

The quarantine has been in effect since April 1st, when an emaciated pig infected with trichinosis was found on the 112-acre farm.

Officials note approximately 102 pigs from the farm are missing.

The written warning was sent to agriculture officials in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Delaware, Georgia, North Carolina and New Jersey.

The owners of the Maryland farm were indicted in July on 19 criminal counts, including animal cruelty, feeding garbage to swine and selling contaminated meat on the property.

2. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

This is a tin foil hat special if I ever saw one. Now the powers that be can test out their tracking systems, and identify weak spots. Sure is convienient they LOST the pigs. This will also be a poster child for chipping animals.

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Good lord, I just sent off an email to my family. Thanks a BUNCH for posting this!

Katrina

4. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

5. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Sounds like they just got out of the pen, to me. You know how they are. Most likely they will never be seen again, and the government will need to take drastic measures to protect us if we are in the states mentioned. Now if we are in other states we will be on our own. Coming to a store near you, soon. High priced pork fresh (frozen) from China.

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

11 Pigs, Piglet Found On Carroll Co. Farm

NEW WINDSOR, Md. -- Twelve pigs and a piglet were found Friday at the Carroll County farm where some 100 pigs went missing last month in an apparent violation of a quarantine.
    State agriculture officials visited the farm after receiving reports that pigs were seen on the farm. They found 11 adult pigs, one piglet and a dead adult pig.
    The adult pigs were euthanized and will be tested for trichinosis and toxoplasmosis, said Sue DuPont, spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Agriculture.
    The baby pig was given to Carroll County Animal Control, officials said.
    Farm owners Carroll Schisler Sr. and Carroll Schisler Jr. said the pigs weren't theirs and told officials that they were probably wild pigs that had gotten onto the property.

SOURCE

7. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Horrors! These cruel people actually fed their pigs GARBAGE!
    Why can't they be humane like the big operators who feed their pigs manure ?

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

My first thought was how do you round up 100 pigs without anyone noticing! lol
    Looks like they must have busted out?

9. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

that was my first thought too. I didn't know it was wrong to do that, I thought you were supposed to feed your pigs garbage. :shrug:

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

By law if you get it from off the farm it has to be cooked.
    But I will not tell LOL
    What will we all do death by trichinosis sounds so painful.

11. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I think some states don't even allow that. And then, if you want to feed "garbage", you have to have some kind of refuse handler permit, or some such nonsense. It's not garbage, it's dinner. ;-)

12. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

They didnt describe "garbage". you dont know if it may have actually been garbage, and not "leftovers". They didnt go in and describe the allegations very well.

13. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Two weeks ago, Schisler was charged with polluting state waterways and illegally disposing of dead animals. He faces four counts of illegally discharging a pollutant into state waters and four counts of illegally allowing the disposal of solid waste on his farm, according to the state attorney general's office.

SOURCE

Inspectors raided the farm in March and April and found decomposing carcasses, piles of bones, livestock feeding on rotting trash and the decaying bodies of other animals.

SOURCE

14. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

ICK!!!!!!!!!! OK, well that explains a lot.

15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

This guy is a neighbor of mine. Y'all aint gett'n what this guy is like. Or the politics of the area.

For decades he and his "kin" have been running their livestock wild on other peoples land. He alternately denies it, or claims its the neighbors faults for owning good land The local government refuses to do anything against him for it.

This final round for him started with a visit from a non-local state trooper on a seperate charge. He wasn't home, and the trooper looked around, and found pigs eating the carcasses of the dead pigs he left to rot in the pens where pigs actually were. The cop flipped out over it, raised kane on a state level, and things finally started to happen.

Since he's protected by the locals, he had a schedule of when the inspectors would be around. When they weren't, he trucked his pigs to the local auction, which is almost world renowned for its slimyness. Sometimes I think the only thing they deal in is stolen livestock.

Calls by the neighbors to the various local agencies about his taking the pigs to auction were ignored, of course. Now, they deny ever having gotten the calls.

The local newspaper absolutely will not cover the story. You've got to go to the Baltimore paper to find any coverage.