Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made these?
I think I finally have what I need to complete the project, thanks to Joanne Fabrics 40% off coupons.
I would appreciate any advice or tips on making and installing them.
Also, if anyone has put together their own Warm Window - I know it can be done but the time spent getting the materials did not seem worth it to me.
Thanks

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
We invested in insulated curtains this fall, figuring we really needed to get on board with this whole energy conservation thing. I did use a little caulk around the windows, but not much and not well. Basically they are the same windows they've been since they were installed in 1835.. I'm big on the "if it was good enough for your grandfather then it is probably good enough for you" school of home improvement.

I can't honestly say I've noticed any improvement in the room, but when I pull up the shades in the morning there is frost on the windows. Before shades, those windows would have been clear. So heat was definitely being absorbed out that glass that isn't now. I only did a couple of windows for this experiment and my observation is that the roman shades seem to be working quite well. They slide down inside the frame and cover the windows top to bottom. However, the pleated drapes do not appear to be making any difference at all. They cover the windows more or less completely but I don't notice that it is colder (which it should be) behind the curtains than in the room. But these drapes are "short" in that they go to the sill, not to the floor. I think if I'd bought to the floor curtains it might have made a difference. But that's a lot of fabric and expense so I'd want something more than "supposed to work" before I punched a buy button.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts